!!!!1994 Yamaha Waverunner.650- WONT START, HAS SPARK, COMPRESSION AND FUEL??!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
I am very frustrated, im working.on my nephew's 94 Waverunner 650.

it ran a year ago, and all of a sudden, it died on the p.o and wouldn't start.
Ive checked spark,fuel & compression, it did start when.I first got it hooked to battery. Died and did only start one other time randomly.
I took the carb off, checked all passages, cleaned and replaced...still nothing, just cranks with no fire.

It has new plugs, good gas, full new battery.
Even pouring gas directly in carb, no fire at all. I pulled plug boots and clipped wire back half inch...
it has spark, but seems weak? I can hold the wire on my finger and crank it all day...lol.
Even my lawn mower will knock you on your a##.

Could this be my no start condition? What would cause this?
I'm super lost on this...please any help greatly appreciated

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Re: !!!!1994 Yamaha Waverunner.650- WONT START, HAS SPARK, COMPRESSION AND FUEL??!!??

Bump...

No responses? Am I in the right section?

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: !!!!1994 Yamaha Waverunner.650- WONT START, HAS SPARK, COMPRESSION AND FUEL??!!??

I have a polaris. I don't kow the answer for you but the 2003 Polaris will knock you to the ground of you hold a plug wire and crank it. Being a 94 I would think the spark would be old school. Maybe check power to a coil or check the stator. Not sure on your machine. I would guess they dont like pimping other websites but try the green hulk website for jet ski's.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

ya, kinda what I figured. I DONT think I should be able to touch it and crank it over.

Any other people wanna chime in?

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

bump

shagy959

Seaman Apprentice

sounds like a cdi or ignition coils maybe coils download a manual and go through the test procidures im betting one took a crap on you

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

sounds like a cdi or ignition coils maybe coils download a manual and go through the test procidures im betting one took a crap on you

well, its a two cylinder, but uses One coil pack with two wires off it.
Thanks alot though, im gonna search around to try and find a PDF manual.
Too bad I suck at using a DMM measuring Ohms and whatnot! :O

I just hope its a coil and not more complicated like the stator or expensive as CDI boxs can run...

deb2909

Recruit

I had a VXR 650 that was a similar case. It was a blown head gasket.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

would the blown HG make the spark weak?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a bad stator or bad CDI. You can test the stator by locating the wires coming off it to the CDI and testing the cranking voltage. It should be in the range of 30-50V AC. If the stator voltage is good then its almost always a bad CDI.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

how exactly do you do that?
use a DMM? set it to A/C voltage?
hook it to the "hot" wire coming from the stator?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are the instructions for the 701 engine. I don't know if the wire color is the same on the 650: Disconnect the brown/white trace wire and ground wire and connect the meter leads to these wires, and while cranking the engine, observe the reading. You should have 30 to 50 volts AC depending on how good a battery and starter you have.

Yes you use a meter set to AC voltage...........not DC.

Cole_M

Recruit
Hey I am new to this website and forums but I am having the same problem with my 1994 Yamaha vxr pro 701.

I tested the stator and it is putting out 30 to 31 volts. Is that too weak? The cdi box is putting out about 3 volts. I can’t seem to find anywhere on the internet what the correct volts should be. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.