1998 Kawasaki 1100 STX suddenly will not start

chrisasealtite

Recruit
I bought a pair of jetskis 3 days ago. Both were running and starting fine. Engines newly rebuilt. After running them out on the water, one ski will not start. Starter does not turn over when key switch is on and starter switch is depressed. Starter does roll over when jumped at the starter relay. I installed a New starter relay anyway. Grounds look good inside the DCI and on the battery and starter. I tested the magnetic key-switch and the starter/kill switch and they are good.
The instrument gauge cluster was blinking on and off on the last ride. On the opposite jetski the red warning light turns on when the magnetic key switch is turned on. However, the red light does not turn on on the jetski that will not start, but not sure if the red light works.
Any guesses will be appreciated.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1998 Kawasaki 1100 STX suddenly will not start

You must make sure the lanyard is attachedas well or it won't crank. Pay no attention to the lights flashing....the display is not the computer. One of mine (same skis) has the oil light flash periodically and from what I gather the display just needs replaced, but it doesn't affect the performance.

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1998 Kawasaki 1100 STX suddenly will not start

Make sure the battery is good and has good connection. I have seen similar symptoms on my 99 STX1100.