First time PWC Owner questions...

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class
So today I bought my first pair of wave runners. One it a 2000 Yamaha GP760 and the other is a 2000 Yamaha GP800. Both have been sitting over a year when I bought them. I brought them home, added some fuel treatment to the tanks, and jumped them off my truck and they fired right up and ran fine.

Then while I was trying to start the 800 earlier it cranked over a few times and stopped. It acted like it lost all power from the switch. I checked the only fuse I could find and it looked fine. Not sure what has happened?

Then I tried to start the 760 and when I hooked the jumper cables up it would not turn over (like it had no power as well).

Both skis fired right up and ran fine earlier this morning when I started them for the first time. Its probably something simple im not doing.

These are my first wave runners, I have had several boats.

emoney

Commander
Re: First time PWC Owner questions...

I'm far from the guy to give advice here, but I do know that there's the risk of damage when jump starting this things from a vehicle because some of the later jets have an onboard computer. Outside of that, is there a fuel cut-off somewhere that's turned off? COuld've had enough fuel in the carbs/lines to run it yesterday and not now. Next silly question is, did the safety-laynard stay attached?
There's a main fuse, I'm sure, that you probably want to check as well. It may take a little bit to get a response in this forum as there's not that many guys perusing it, but it will come. I mainly responded to get the silly questions out of the way and to keep your thread at the top. Good luck.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Need more info:

First off, how did you jump the skis? Yamaha does not recommend jumping the battery directly from a vehicle, and especially not from a running vehicle..........you can fry the ECU doing that on some models.

Second, when you ran the skis the first time were you running them on the hose or not? How long did they run?

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class

I jumped them from my truck battery, with the truck running the first time, and it was not running the second time.

Everytime I tried to start them I had the water hooked up to the inlet under the seat.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, one more question. You said the water was hooked up when you tried to start them, but it was not on right? With PWCs it is always: Start Engine, Start Water, Stop Water, Stop Engine. In-other-words, the engine always must be running before you start the water on the hose or you can flood the engine through an open exhaust valve (very different than how you do a boat). If you had the water on while you were trying to start them you may have done this.

If that were the case, you want to remove the spark plugs and then try to turn the engine over. My recommendation is to pull a good battery out of a vehicle to do this rather than jumping the battery. You will get a geyser of water out of the spark plug holes. Once you get as much water out as possible, put the plugs back in and try again (remember engine on, water on, water off, engine off).

Even if you didn't flood the engine, I'd try removing the plugs to see if it will turn over. With the plugs out, you should be able to turn the engines over by hand by turning the drive shaft. If it still will not turn over by hand, check to be sure that there is nothing stuck in the pump. If you can turn them over by hand with the plugs out, then I'd try jumping the starter solenoid (just connect the 2 positive wires at the solenoid with a screwdriver) to see if it turns over then.

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pulled the plugs and the engine would not crank. I dont see a driveshaft to try to crank it over by hand either. I bought a new battery last night and let it charge over night and stuck it in this morning, and still nothing. Its like it is getting no power at all. Where is the starter solenoid located?

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I hit the start button there is nothing at all. NO clicking, humming, etc anywhere. Ive tried wiggling the kill switch while pressing the start button and nothing still.

Its odd because if was cranking fine and just lost all power in the middle of cranking it over. Almost like a blown fuse, but the one fuse I could find (in a black box just behind the engine) was not blown.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

If fuse is good look for loose electrical connection (at battery or starter, or ground is most likely), but hard to believe this could happen to both skis.

Look behind the engine there may be a plastic cover over the drive coupler that you need to remove to be able to turn the engine by hand. You could also try turning the impeller, but don't cut your fingers. You just want to be sure there is nothing blocking the engine and preventing it from turning. It should turn pretty easy with the plugs out.

Other thing that I just remembered on some Yamaha skis when you jump the ski or disconnect the battery it locks the security system. You may need to reset the security system. You should be seeing "START" display on the screen on the GP800 once you have the lanyard connected and hit the start button (may be the same on the 760, but I'm not sure about that model). If not, I'd try resetting the security system (I think Yamaha calls it PADLOC or something like that in the owners manual). Instructions are in the owners manual on how to do it (look for a blue connector). If you need an owners manual you can download one here: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/waverunner/service/viewmanuals/viewmanuals.aspx?ls=waverunner

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe I will take them to the local jet ski repair shop today.

emoney

Commander

Let us know what it ends up being. Do these things need to be in neutral to start and if so, are they?

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will do. There is no neutral to my understanding, only forward gear. The 800 has reverse as well, but the 760 does not.

thormx11

Petty Officer 1st Class

Turned up being the starter solenoid on the 800, and the 760's gauge cluster is broken which is causing it from running.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Should be easy fixes, and not too expensive. Glad you got it figured out.