93 waverruner 500 stalls

danzimal

Cadet
I picked up this waverunner which hadn't run about for about 4 years (and was sitting outside).
After a quick inspection, it's amazing how clean and 'preserved' it looked.
It's stock and shows no sign of maintenance (at least all the screws and bolts still have paint).

Here's what I did;
- Fogged the cylinders and carburetor (cranked it a little with the plugs out)
- Drained, cleaned the tank and replaced with fresh/mixed fuel
- Replaced the fuel filter
- Replaced the carburetor diaphragm (because it only cost $4 bucks)
- Replaced the plugs

The results?
- I've got it out of the water on the trailer (with no water hook up)
- Dumped a little gas down the throat and cranked it over.
- I starts right up and sounds good, but after about 5-8 seconds it stalls.
- I repeated this step several times and it stalls as soon as the gas I dump is consumed.
- Fuel is reaching the carburetor via the fuel line (I checked it and cleaned it as well).
- I have not done a compression test (but it sure sounds good for those few seconds of life)
- I played with the carburetor a little (with the jets) but no effect.

Any idea's what could be the problem?

hypersniper

Banned
Re: 93 waverruner 500 stalls

check the tank vent, make sure it clear, check needle and seat in carb for any junk in the way check float level make sure its where it needs to be. check and recheck everything you have done so far. something is stopping fuel from getting into the carb bowl.

danzimal

Cadet

photo.JPG

I got my carb kit and contained within it was (2) rubber grommets that each is used to secure a clear round disk.
These disks are attached to the fuel plate body.
I included the parts link below and it's contained with #14 (the disks are not separately available).

Anyways, I should not have tried to replace these disks because they looked Ok before I messed with them :)
But I ruined the old one getting it out, and mashed the new one trying to push in it in.

How the heck are you supposed to replace these things?
I have one new one left which I would use to replace the newly damaged one (but I doubt I'd be successful).

Since you can't but the disks separately, I wounder if they come with #14?

http://www.**********/parts/search/Yamaha/Waverunner/1993/WAVE%20RUNNER%20-%20WR500R/CARBURETOR/parts.html[/url]

Last edited:

hypersniper

Banned

use some wd-40 and spray the rubber and the carb hole where it goes. use a small round rod with a blunt end (not sharp!) in the little hole in the rubber and carefully push it through. SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY. patience is the key here. once you get part of it through use a fingernail and help get the lip of it through. i have damaged a few of these myself and learned the hard way.

danzimal

Cadet

Brilliant HyperSniper!

Thanks for the tip, worked like a charm :)