1996 Sea Doo GTI

I am trying to get some areas to look at to repair my 1996 GTI. Last summer I was running at 35 mph then then the propulsion under throttle died. Under full throttle the sea doo wont move. It does run 3-4 mph under idle. I got it back to the dock and tied it off. The next morning I came back and it was half full of water so I pulled it out of the water. I think the impeller is the main issue with the propulsion but the water i havent got a clue. I searched the hull and didnt fint and crack or holes and the plugs are in.

Any helpful ideas? They would be greatfully appreciated

rdrksmith

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1996 Sea Doo GTI

I am currently rebuilding 2 seadoos. Both came to me on the cheap.
1994 Sea Doo GTX (FREE). And a 1995 Sea Doo SPi ($200) The SPi was going to be my parts bike. But with a borrowed compression guage I decided to restore it too.

On our trip to the lake, both were performing excellent and just as we were having a great time at the lake both started having problems just as you describe.

Well to make a long story very short. Its called CAVITATION. Air is introduced into the jetpump due to clearance issues (worn wear ring or missing wear ring). Maybe a nick or 2 on the impeller itself (my case was this on both skiis) I was able to pull the SPi back to the dock with the GTX. It was a long SLOW ride.

I inspected the wear rings in both of my skiis prior to taking them out. In just a few hours the impellers ATE the wear rings.
They looked really good at first. In retrospect tho. I think these were ORIGINAL wear rings. These skiis are almost 20 years old.

Both my skiis were not misused or abused... but they were stored for a long time out of the water.
These wear rings just fell apart. The black part of the wear ring broke up just as safety glass does when it is shatters, all that was left was the white fiberglass inserts.

Both of my skiis were taking on water as you describe. Mine were leaking where the driveshaft comes into the hull. Old worn out cracked rubber seal. Less than $10 each to replace.

If you are mechanically inclined. Give them a GOOD inspection. If they are scarred or missing pieces or if they are white instead of black.
Pull the pump. Rebuild it. I am into both of my pumps for less than $200 and MY labor. Not $95/hr at the Repair Shop.

Wear rings were $32.00 each with free shipping
Bearing kit complete with Loctite for both skiis $ 89.00 free shipping
Hull seal for each ski $ 12.00 free shipping
Neoprene pump to hull seal $ 9.99 each free shipping

All parts were scored on Ebay

Total = 196.98

Good Luck

hypersniper

Banned

check your carbon wear ring on the shaft inside the hull. could be your source of the leak and cavitation causing loss of forward movement

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am trying to get some areas to look at to repair my 1996 GTI. Last summer I was running at 35 mph then then the propulsion under throttle died. Under full throttle the sea doo wont move. It does run 3-4 mph under idle. I got it back to the dock and tied it off. The next morning I came back and it was half full of water so I pulled it out of the water. I think the impeller is the main issue with the propulsion but the water i havent got a clue. I searched the hull and didnt fint and crack or holes and the plugs are in.

Any helpful ideas? They would be greatfully appreciated

I have a 1996 GTI that had a similar problem. It would idle fine, but when asking for power, it would come close to dying. I had a local shop rebuild the carbs and it runs like new now. If you haven't had the carbs rebuilt, you may want to.

texasvet