newbie over here help! 93 bombardier gts and a 92 xp

kustom_2323

Recruit
well just picked up 2 sea doo's. got a few questions, first off the guy said these haven't been ran in a year or 2. now the 92 xp will start right up. only problem or concern i had was i started it and oil leaked out the jet after i shut it down, and also when it was on was smoking white a lot. the 93 gts on the other hand he said was hard to start. was dripping a little gas out the jet, and also when i got them there was some black oil like substance inside the hull but smelt like gas. both crank over but only one starts. any one have any ideas or things to check? keep in ind i am new to the mechanics of these, give me a car or bike and ill do some work but I'm new to the water toys. also if u can give a rough guess how much anything would cost parts wise. and also how do i tell if its premix gas or oil injected thanks for your time :)

jbjennings

Captain
Re: newbie over here help! 93 bombardier gts and a 92 xp

If it's oil injected you will see the clear oil lines below the carb coming from the oil pump. Those clear lines need to be in good condition (may be leaking just before failure) or they will fail and burn up your motor due to lack of oil. There will be a block-off plate and no oil lines going under the carb if it has been changed to premix.
I'm thinking if it's smoking white, it's because you are gettin water intrusion into your cylinders due to a bad head gasket o-ring, etc. That will also kill your engine.
YOu should start by getting a compression guage and seeing what you have in both engines. Once you have verified good compression (hopefully somewhere around 150 psi and within 10% of each other), then proceed to verifying good spark on both wires. If good spark using a spark tester is found, move on to rebuildling the carbs. IF you've got gray fuel lines, they should immediately be replaced. I don't know much of anything about the pumps and only a little about the engines, so this is about all the advice I can safely give. Don't run it without a water source for more than a vew seconds at idle. I put in a primer kit for 26$ to replace the choke which has proven much better. YOu might consider that for hard starting cold.