Cost Of Owning A Jet Ski

slalomskiing31

Seaman Apprentice
So I am considering buying a Sea Doo jet ski.. I`ve been looking at Sea Doo GTX`s with the 155 in them , and Sea Doo RXP`s and RXT`s with the 215 in them. Are they hard to winterize? Will they break down easily even if they are maintained properly? Is there any other costs other then rebuilding the supercharger in the RXP/RXT's?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Cost Of Owning A Jet Ski

Winterization is a little harder on the Seadoos due to the closed loop cooling. If you are buying new, I'd let the dealer do it. The newer skis with the IS/IBR systems are supposed to be a little harder to maintain, and dealers tend to charge a little more for routine maintenance. Seadoo machines tend to be more complex with more electronic gadgets than other skis, so there is the potential for more things to fail. There seems to be mixed opinions on the skis with the suspension systems. The newer model 4 stroke skis that are well maintained seem to be holding up very well. About the only problems other than the supercharger that I've heard have to do with the suspension systems. I don't know of any problems other than rebuilding the supercharger every 200 hours (that would probably be 4-5 years or more for most owners), however maintenance costs tend to run more and be a little harder for owners to do than other brands of ski. $200 + dealer charge for routine service is pretty common in my area.