XLT 1200 power loss/rpm loss after take off

Jimmy P

Recruit
I have a 2001 Wave Runner XLT1200. Carbs. rebuilt last year. I have 120 comp. on all cylinders. When I take off it runs great at 7000 rpm up to about 15 mph and then the rpm's drop suddenly to about 5500 and the top speed is only about 32. I am wondering if there is a rev limiter or something that could be causing this problem. Any ideas?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: XLT 1200 power loss/rpm loss after take off

Does it still have the catalytic converter? If so, I'd take the exhaust apart and see if it has broken loose.............very common problem on this model. It will make the ski run like crap. Even if the cat/con is intact, I'd consider removing it and installing a "D" plate. The cat/con tends to fail at the 10 year point on these skis.

Other common problem would be the power valves not working or possibly have come loose and fallen. Have you installed wave eater clips for the power valves? I'd check the servo motor for the PVs and the PVs themselves. If you haven't installed the clips, you might want to consider installing them. Most likely one of these 2 problems.

Jimmy P

Recruit
Re: XLT 1200 power loss/rpm loss after take off

Does it still have the catalytic converter? If so, I'd take the exhaust apart and see if it has broken loose.............very common problem on this model. It will make the ski run like crap. Even if the cat/con is intact, I'd consider removing it and installing a "D" plate. The cat/con tends to fail at the 10 year point on these skis.

Other common problem would be the power valves not working or possibly have come loose and fallen. Have you installed wave eater clips for the power valves? I'd check the servo motor for the PVs and the PVs themselves. If you haven't installed the clips, you might want to consider installing them. Most likely one of these 2 problems.

I had the converter removed when I did the carbs. last year. I am not familuar with the power valves or the "wave eater" chips. I will do some reasearch on them next. Thanks for the input.