can i fish off this

ctown

Cadet
me and my wife are looking at getting a 2012 seadoo challenger 210 and i would like to be able fish can it be done comfortably

emoney

Commander
Re: can i fish off this

Well, that's a pretty subjective question I'd think. You can fish off 'anything' when it comes right down to it.
However, if fishing is priority #1, then I'd probably be looking at a boat designed for that. If, however, the
"boss" (i.e. Admiral) is saying she wants a pleasure boat, then it's time to decide if the compromise is worth it.
Every boat can be setup "better" for alternative purposes, but there's a reason why there are categories.
If it were me, I'd be looking at boats that are "Fish-n-ski" as they're normally setup to make everyone happy.
Tons of available models to choose from.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The biggest problem I see with fishing form a jet ski is the confusion. The fishermen won't know whether to wave at ya or flip ya off and the other jet skiers probably won't talk to ya.
The reason I say this is because when I had a pontoon and a jet ski I could ride around the lake pretty close to shore and all the (well Most) fishermen would wave as I went by. I would take the pontoon back to the shore and get my jet ski, same distance from shore and same speed and they would either not wave or would give me the one finger wave.

All kidding aside. We have a few at our lake that fish form jet skis, but as mentioned it is probably not the most convenientant thing to do. But as long as you are happy with the situation I say "GO FOR IT" enjoy life.

Last edited:

jbjennings

Captain

No, it's the worst possible choice for fishing. Especially if you like to fish in shallow water or weeds, which would tear your jet pump up very quickly. That boat is purpose built and it's purpose is not fishing. It's got no place for your rods, and I'm not sure if it even has a place for a trolling motor. That's a nice boat, just not for fishing.
Just my opinion,
JBJ

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Jet ski fishing is very popular in San Diego in the bays and inshore. But the seawater here's probably a bit warmer than where you are.

jbjennings

Captain

A chllenger is a big bowrider boat, not a ski. Super nice looking boat, just not a fishing boat. No doubt you could if you wanted to bad enough......

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

A chllenger is a big bowrider boat, not a ski. Super nice looking boat, just not a fishing boat. No doubt you could if you wanted to bad enough......

Yup. You can fish off it if you want. A trolling motor might be a good addition for control issues at low speed. You might need to come up with a custom mount for it but it's doable.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My mistake.. I had a Seadoo and that was all I saw. You are right it is the boat.. But I still say you can fish off them if ya want.. They only require 3 ft of water to run them.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

My mistake.. I had a Seadoo and that was all I saw. You are right it is the boat.. But I still say you can fish off them if ya want.. They only require 3 ft of water to run them.

Wow. ONLY three feet of water? My old Niagara can run in about 18" and that ain't a jet boat...

Jets don't troll well so an electric bowmount with remote steering will probably buy you what you need. Of course I don't know what you would be fishing for or how; I am thinking trolling or tidal use is what you meant.