1989 seadoo 587 hard starting questions

jbjennings

Captain
Having trouble starting out of water when cold. Having trouble startingin water period. I have to give it full throttle and it takes quite a few seconds. I've cleaned the carb and rebuilt, but am waiting for carb kits to redo them both (I have a pair of '89s). I've checked the rotary valve cover and leaf, and the leaf is great, the cover doesn't have anything I can hang a fingernail on. I didn't check the clearance because I couldn't find the right size solder wire to squeeze and measure.

I've got 2 primer kits and 2 carb kits coming. I was curious at what you guys think the problem is, if you've had problems with seadoo 587's starting in the past, and what the solution to the hard starting was. The compression on one ski is 140 and 140, the other ski is 150 and 135. Both have identical starting issues and both run good once cranked--idle good and wide open with no missing. One thing I've noticed is that spark on these ski's appears weak--thin and orange. On my old outboards, spark is hot blue and much thicker. Is this normal for a jet ski?

One last question: One supposedly has a stainless impeller and has a lot more power and top end speed than the other. COuld a stainless prop do this and if so, how?
Thanks,
JBJennings