Quick Question About Wave Runner...

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys quick question we took the skie out for the weekend and after loading up and pulling the plugs I notice there was about 4 inches of water inside the ski. Is this normal? We left the ski in the water over night friday and saturday. Its a 2006 Waver Runner VX Sport.... Thanks guys...

David

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Quick Question About Wave Runner...

The VX has a siphon pump that only works when the engine is running, so if it were sitting where wave action could splash water onto the hood (which drains into the bilge), then I'd say you could have picked up the water from that.

The other potential thing to worry about is that the 2007 and prior VX models were known to have problems with leaks developing around the joint pipe (its the thing the drive shaft passes through). Yamaha used some type of adhesive that comes loose over time. There have been many guys that have had to have this part resealed. I'd keep an eye on it. Once you pull it out of the water, you can fill up the back of the bilge over the joint pipe and see if you see any water leaking outside around this area.

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The VX has a siphon pump that only works when the engine is running, so if it were sitting where wave action could splash water onto the hood (which drains into the bilge), then I'd say you could have picked up the water from that.

The other potential thing to worry about is that the 2007 and prior VX models were known to have problems with leaks developing around the joint pipe (its the thing the drive shaft passes through). Yamaha used some type of adhesive that comes loose over time. There have been many guys that have had to have this part resealed. I'd keep an eye on it. Once you pull it out of the water, you can fill up the back of the bilge over the joint pipe and see if you see any water leaking outside around this area.

There wasn't any waves on the lake esp big enough to splash water onto the hood... I want check the joint pipe you talked about how hard is it going to be for me to locate it? And do you think me bilge pump might be not working or clogged? Are they known for gonig bad?

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ernest... I have found diagrams / drawings on waverunners and there bilge pumps but when I pull up a 2006 VX sport there isnt a bilge pump drawing any ideas why?

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That si way too much water to get in there. There has to be a seal leaking.

If it were me, I would suck it all out and let it sit....not running.....to see if it happens again. I would also perhaps get in on a trailer, take off the engine cover, and hit the entire boat with a house. Not a power washer, just a house, and have someone look inside. Look for leaks.

I inspect my engine bay after every use. I usually leave it open so it gets good and dry. It is normal to get a little bit if water. I might get a few ounces and I have no idea where it is comming from. Some of it could just be condensation.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

The VX doesn't have an electric bilge pump (you may want to consider installing one if you leave it in the water). Instead the VX has a siphon system for the bilge. Basically, the siphon system has a hose or it may be 2 hoses (I can't remember) that are tied into the cooling water exhaust system. There will be a square plastic strainer sitting low some place in the back of the bilge that these hoses connect too. When the engine runs any water is sucked through the strainer and out the hoses by venturi effect type of suction. It only operates when the ski is running and cooling water is flowing through the system. It will be absolutely no help if the ski fills with water while docked.

You might want to look at these threads about the leak around the joint pipe:
http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=345480,
http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=289640,
http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=303570,
http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=314747

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ernest.. I just got back from outside messing with the ski and I think I found the square plastic strainer. There is one hose leaving it and going to a 90 degree connector at the top of the ski. Then leaves there and goes to a big white drum looking thing at the back of the ski. I notice some string type stuff around the strainer and reach under it and it seemed to be clogged. Look at my pictures and see if this makes sense to you and if so this is prolly my problem huh? My other question is how do you get the stariner off so I can clean it. I couldnt get it off and didn't want to break it. Is there a special way to get it off? Thanks for the help guys

jetski.jpgjetski2.jpgjetski3.jpgjetski4.jpg

David

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, that's the strainer for the siphon pump. Push those 4 clips in (you can see 2 of the plastic clips in your 1st photo) and the top part that the hose is attached will pop off. That stuff you pulled out probably had it clogged, so I'm guessing the water may have just been building up in there and not draining when you rode the ski.