carbureator rebuild

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class
i have a 96 SeaDoo GTI that is hesitating at times when I give it more throttle kinda like it's starved for gas. I took it to the local shop and they quoted me a price of $500 to rebuild the twin carbs. That seemed quite high to me, so I passed.

I've been working on cars for 40 years and I've rebuilt several carbs. Jetski's are another story though.

My questions, if anyone can chime in, are:

Is this price reasonable?

How hard is a rebuild compared to a rebuild on an automotive carb?

What is a good source for a rebuild kit?

Is a product like Gumout sprayed into the throat of the carb a good first attempt at a fix?

Thanks,
texasvet

orangeman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: carbureator rebuild

Carb rebuilds on most PWC's are real easy. I believe seadoos of this vintage use Mikuni carbs which are a piece of cake. I've always been told to use genuine Mikuni rebuild kits which run in the neighborhood of $50 per carb. I would think a pro shouldn't have more than an an hour labor in the rebuild. Don't know much about whats involved in removing and reinstalling the carbs so that would be additional time. As far as I'm concerned the only way to own an older ski economically is to do all the work yourself. Make sure you get a shop manual so you get everything set up properly before you re-install the carbs. Go for it. Also check out greenhulk.net for lots of good advice on doing the work yourself.

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If they use carbs similar to the ski-doo mikuni slide they are easy just make sure you adjust them properly and ensure they go back on the same cylinder in case they are jetted differently.

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies.

Now, what is a good rebuild kit source?

texasvet

orangeman

Seaman Apprentice

Do a google search for the genuine mikuni kit for your carbs and buy the cheapest ones you can find. I've never used any of the non OEM kits because the people I trust say not to use them.