1996 120 mercury Sprt Jets

sporanox

Cadet
I am going to look at a 1996 120 mercury Sprt Jets and possible purchase. Is this a good engine and anything I should look for?

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1996 120 mercury Sprt Jets

Take it out for a spin make sure it gets up to plane quickly check the engine bring a compression tester check the bottom of the ride plate make sure its flush with the bottom of the hull never start it on the trailer only in water these engines have electrical gremlins just a forewarning

karascon

Recruit

i have 1996 mirage 120xr and i run water thru it on the trailer to rinse the salt water out. it has a hose hook up
i turn on the hose run it for a few min, turnoff engine then hose? Is this wrong i have only had the boat for a few months
and when i got it it did have ride plate gasket leaks?

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where is your hose hook up at the fat hose coming from the jet drive or on top of your thermostat housing?
you need to use the hose hookup that adapts to the engine cooling hose and make sure the water pressure is only about an 1" above the hose when the hose is held vertical facing up else you will flood the bottom cylinder. You should only run it at idle on the hose for short period of time and always turn on the water before you crank it.

The previous owner probably made the mistake of starting it up on the trailer without any water flow.

The water washes away the fuel that accumulates in the exhaust while cranking, without water flow, once it engine starts it causes a backfire and the pressure from the explosion can and will blow or bend the ride plate or seal, its a pretty stupid design on mercury's side. :(

karascon

Recruit

hmmm it has a small 1/2" hose on top of the head? i will not use the full water preasure from now on. thanks for the information on that. i siliconed ther ride plate and the boat was running bad ***. but the silicone finally gave away and it cavitates again so now i have to do it the right way. new gasket and ride plate. what sucks is who ever worked on it before used plain screws so they are rusted. time to brake out the extractor set. thanks again.....
The previous owner probably made the mistake of starting it up on the trailer without any water flow.

The water washes away the fuel that accumulates in the exhaust while cranking, without water flow, once it engine starts it causes a backfire and the pressure from the explosion can and will blow or bend the ride plate or seal, its a pretty stupid design on mercury's side. :([/QUOTE]

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The hose on top I f the head is the wrong one to use its meant just for flushing the engine after salt water usage you need to get an adapter for the cooling hose else you might overheat

jdeboxtel

Cadet

I have a '95. Its a little hard to find certain parts for but if you don't mind cruising eBay and craigslist, you'll be fine.