1995 Sea Rayder 120 Fuel Enricher

Dave8609

Cadet
Does anyone know how to trouble shoot the fuel enricher? I have searched but cannot find any info other then the ohm value when cold, mine is 17 ohms. I do not see a wax pellet. Mine looks like a double relay. Once the assy is removed from the housing the relay has a metal sliver tube that pushes into the plastic housing with another longer needle like shaft that pushes into the tube.

In my research it seems to work like this, with the shifter in neutral once the key is turned the relay pulls into itself to allow fuel to bypass the carbs and feed the engine. Once started or once the shifter is moved to forward or reverse the relay drops back and allows the carbs to conitnue supplying fuel to the engine.

My boat does not start cold. If I remove the relay and place my thumb over the hole the boat starts up no problem. If anyone can give me a trouble shoot procedure for the enricher "relay?" That would be great.

Please help!

Dave8609

Cadet
Re: 1995 Sea Rayder 120 Fuel Enricher

Cmon guys. This is the last piece I need to get an awsome Jet Boat. I have read your threads and just about rebuilt this boat from the great info you have given out. If I could get this circuit fixed I would be good to go. Does anyone have any info on how to trouble shoot this circuit? I will buy a service manual but the Cyber manual I have only mentions the enricher but gives no trouble shooting at all.

Please help. 4th of July is coming up and I dont want to have to monkey with the boat to get it running when its cold.

Dave8609

Cadet

I found an internal diagram of the fuel enricher. Apparently the wax pellet is inside the enricher body and holds the slide and needle in the normally open position. When the engine is turned over the wax pellet should melt releasing the slide and needle blocking off the fuel within a few minutes. Once the pellet is melted and the circuit is closed the idle circut in the carbs will continue to idle the motor.

Looking at the picutre I am not sure how the pellet releases the slide and needle then recaptures it once the pellet has cooled. It seems the slide and needle have spring that force them down or out blocking the fuel, opposite of what a relay would do. On my enricher the slide and needled are normally down or out and I can push them
up or in against the springs. So my enricher slide and needle are normally closed, this is the problem. The fix I dont know.

I cannot find any info on how much voltage should be measured at the two yellow wires that feed the enricher and melt the pellet. I can find some resistance tests to the voltage regulator but I think the enricher gets its voltage directly from the stator. I can check for continuity and I will check for voltage on the yellow wires and let you know. Wont be till next week though. I assume the voltage on the yellow wires will be AC as the enricher is completely ungrounded and the wires are both yellow.

If any one knows the voltage/amp that the yellow wires are suppose to supply that would be helpful.

Dave8609

Cadet

After reading and assuming a few more things I have come up with this conclusion; BTW still looking for some direction, with the engine off there will be no voltage coming from the stator because it doesnt produce voltage until it is turning. The book does sayonce the motor is running at X rpm I should be able to read X amps, except I dont have a timing light. It also says the battery should be receiveing about 14.5 volts with the engine running. So if I am getting 14.5 volts with the engine running I can assume the stator is supplying the voltage regulator with the correct current/amps and if I get the same voltage at the Fuel enricher that I have at the voltage regulator then I have to assume the fuel enricher is bad.

Cant wait to try.

Last edited:

Dave8609

Cadet

Just another thought if anyone would be so kind to give me some guidance. If I pull the enricher out of the fuel housing and turned the motor over, would I see the needle move? Anyone done this? All our responses have been great so far.
Thanks so much!

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just another thought if anyone would be so kind to give me some guidance. If I pull the enricher out of the fuel housing and turned the motor over, would I see the needle move? Anyone done this? All our responses have been great so far.
Thanks so much!

There are times when I feel like I'm talking to myself! Sorry can't help you I have a solenoid choke

Dave8609

Cadet

Lol, I read your thread aksor and that is what I got from your postings too. I did get great advice from Ken in Raleigh one year. Even talked to him on the phone, GO PATRIOTS. I think this issue is beyond the gurus out there because if you read the threads with this issue none of them finish or follow up with a final solution. They just give what is in the books but no personal trouble shooting expierence. To replace it for $ 200 isnt an option for me that might or not work.

I will figure it out and post a final solution with an explanation. The boat is in NH so I cant get to it untill next week. Good luck with your issue too.

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im starting to think that I wil never get my cdi I'm going camping this weekend and if my part is not in by Monday I'm filing a paypal refund.
I paid for express shipping from Jersey and its like 5 hours from my place driving and its almost 2 weeks since I ordered it this sucks

I hope you figure it out

Dave8609

Cadet

Ok, still no help from the forum gurus. I did find this post that look like it may help explain how to troubleshoot the enricher.

"Sure are a lot of guys having cold start issues with those sportjets....I'm going to read over threads at onl sportjet forum to see if a common cause/solution was found.Manuals off to guys who asked.Don't see much useful at that site, helpful guy trying to sell a kit:http://p081.ezboard.com/fsportjetwor...picID=39.topic There was a good thread on fixing the enrichers-didn't imagine that....looks like infos lost. Was a post on replacing pellet/adjusting nricher:http://p081.ezboard.com/fsportjetwor...icID=286.topic"

From a guy named Zamboni. Unfortunately the link is dead. Can any one redirect me to where this link is at?

Dave8609

Cadet

A success, with no help whatsoever from the "gurus", your silence was astounding. I did not buy a new one I troubleshot the old one with great success. Any one interested in the result feel free to ask.

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So share the wealth this is how we learn from each other. :)

Tina8

Recruit

I am having the same problem can you tell me your secret. Thank you

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Auto enritchiner only works if carburator-chutter are closed on all carbs.

When cold it?s open through.

It shall take 2-3 minutes for it to close from engine start to run.

18-20 ohm cold , nothing nearly warm.

If you like to test it take it off, look and blow trough it cold and se so it?s open. Then put 12 volt to the wires. See ore feel by blowing through it that it?s closed after a few minutes.

Dave8609

Cadet

Ends up I took the thing apart and everything looked good. No melted parts, no corrosion etc. I put it back together and got about a full turn and a half more putting it together then when I took it apart, making the whole assy shorter. My issue was the needle was blocking the fuel hole because the whole assy was too long. At first look, when taking it apart there was what looked like loctite on the threads. My assumption was it was put together at the factory wrong. Once I had it back together I turned the motor over multiple times and within about 45 seconds the needle had moved so that the silver shaft, that the needle goes into, was about a quarter inch out of the black housing. Befrore it did not extend. I also figured out the wax bullet, when it heats up it turns into a liquid and acts the same way hydraulics works, the liquid wax expands forcing the silver needle deeper into the enricher and shuts off the circuit once it is a full length.

I wouldn't put 12 volts to the input yellow wires because the input is AC not DC you may ruin the heater element.
I checked the voltage between the yellow wires and got about 4 Volts AC. I think in the end, and please advise if this is wrong, if your battery is charging and the ohms thru the enricher is within spec you should see it extend with in a minute after turning the motor over a bunch of times. If not the enricher is bad.

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just FYI a heater coil does not care if it receives AC or DC voltage