01 Seadoo GTX RFI sputters at low RPM

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just bought this GTX. Runs great except for when you just give a little throttle - about 2000 to 2200 RPM. It acts like you are applying throttle and immediately relaxing throttle in 1 second intervals. After you give more throttle to take off, it seems to run fine. Fresh fuel and oil. I did notice that the idle RPM in water is about 1750 on the meter. According to my Seadoo shop manual, it should be 1500?100 RPM. It also states that the TPS (throttle position sensor) is the main factor in how this machine runs and can only be adjusted using an MPEM computer which I can't afford to buy.

Is there any way to adjust the idle without hooking the MPEM up to a computer at a dealer?

I'm hoping that the high RPM is putting a little too much oil into the burn causing the sputter and I can make the adjustment at home without dealer cost.

Thanks for any help!

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 01 Seadoo GTX RFI sputters at low RPM

Just bought this GTX. Runs great except for when you just give a little throttle - about 2000 to 2200 RPM. It acts like you are applying throttle and immediately relaxing throttle in 1 second intervals. After you give more throttle to take off, it seems to run fine. Fresh fuel and oil. I did notice that the idle RPM in water is about 1750 on the meter. According to my Seadoo shop manual, it should be 1500?100 RPM. It also states that the TPS (throttle position sensor) is the main factor in how this machine runs and can only be adjusted using an MPEM computer which I can't afford to buy.

Is there any way to adjust the idle without hooking the MPEM up to a computer at a dealer?

I'm hoping that the high RPM is putting a little too much oil into the burn causing the sputter and I can make the adjustment at home without dealer cost.

Thanks for any help!

I had one that did something simular once...it had a sticky choke. What I did vs. fixing it which would have been the better option of course, was just flip the choke switch real fast once or twice to get it to let go of it. You may try that.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 01 Seadoo GTX RFI sputters at low RPM

Thx Leddanger, good advice for my 97 model, but my 01 is RFI fuel injected. No choke on this baby! Any other ideas?

For now, I just hooked the water up and monitored the RPM as I adjust the Idle set screw down some. Goin on vacation tomorrow for a week, so I'll know if I went to far or not far enough on it.