Purchasing first jetski please help

Stangiller

Cadet
Ok so i posted up a thread with no replys. Maybe i should give it another go . Im looking to buy a jetski . Honestly i dont need anything super fancy . i live on the water prett much ( Brooklyn , Coney island ) Area. and im min's away from the beach . I found this one guy who is offering me a 2002 Yamaha Waverunner XLT 1200 . From our conversation over the phone he has several Water toys and is looking to buy a BMW M3 and wants to sell some of his toys. So , he is willing to let it go with a trailer for 2K. Ive looked around and it seems way to low for a 02 Model. I looked around people are asking for 3500 and above for the same model and will not budge on the price.

The owner told me he will lunch it into the water for me to test drive I do not have a License yet but im going to take the class As soon as possible . Will it be ok for me to quickly test it . Also , What should i look for before purchasing it . I dont want to buy a lemon. but i also never owned one and do not know much about jet skis.

He said theres 50 Hours on the ski and in tip top shape.One more thing . he said he will not give me the tittle to the trailer . can i purchase a trailer that does have a tittle . How will i register it ? Do i have to register it as all ?

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Purchasing first jetski please help

OK....lots of questions.

Couple of things, with 50 hours, that price is WAY too low....about half what it should be, so I smell a rat. Hard to give an opinion on it otherwise with no photos etc....

With any used ski, always have the compression checked AND inspect the prop to make sure there is not too much clearance from a worn and messed-up prop. props are replaceable, but not cheap. Also, when doing a water test, look for things like cavitation, hesitation, and being able to make top rated speed. also, pull the seats up and look for water leaks.

As to the trailer title issue, that also seems fishy....the guy obviously can't prove he owns the trailer. A trailer will run $500 to $750.

Lastly, I am not sure what rediculous rules your state has, but out here, trailers don't need tags and you don't need a permit or a lic. to operate a boat or a jet ski unless you are under 16. My daughter is 10 and drives our pontoon and waverunner legally....just needs to be an adult with her. If your state requires a lic. then you need to have it. Driving w/o it and the risk is on you.

KD4UPL

Too low of a price and trailers should have a title. If he doesn't have a title for the trailer my first thought is that it is stolen. You will definitely need a title to register the trailer. I would walk away just on those two reasons. As for the license, I bet Murphy will appear. If you had a license you could ride 100's of miles and no one would ever check. Since you don't have one I bet you get stopped in the first 2 minutes.

Stangiller

Cadet

i do agree as far as the price it seemed really low. Actually seemed like a steal and i was inches from going out of my way to go look at it . But i did not. Tons of people are selling ski's with trailers that do not have a tittle. It cannot be that all of them are stolen . Without tittle can anything be done. ? ( i was told i can register it as a homemade trailer ? ) Whats the difference . Also as far as the jet ski i dont go on the water to much but when i will i want a PWC to have some fun on . How old is to old for a ski. I like the body of the 2000 n up ski's but there are also a few in the 90's that i would be fine with as well . I dont need somehting super fast. but i also do not want to spend to much as i wanna buy one more me n one for my Girlfriend . Which models are worthy and which are not ?

WaterDR

You will need to check with your local DMV on the trailer and how to get a duplicate title. A lot of people never realy tow these things. They might just leave them at the their lake houses, so they never wory about titles and registration and crap like that. Also, dending on the age, it may even not need a title. Again, depends on the state.

If you want two skis, then buy two skis. A lot of people sell them in pairs and they are always priced better that way plus you usually get a trailer. The 4 strokes will be more reliable, but you pay more.

Here is a good example of what I am talking about: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/boa/3077857597.html

The Rooster

Ensign

You will need to check with your local DMV on the trailer and how to get a duplicate title. A lot of people never realy tow these things. They might just leave them at the their lake houses, so they never wory about titles and registration and crap like that. Also, dending on the age, it may even not need a title. Again, depends on the state.

If you want two skis, then buy two skis. A lot of people sell them in pairs and they are always priced better that way plus you usually get a trailer. The 4 strokes will be more reliable, but you pay more.

Here is a good example of what I am talking about: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/boa/3077857597.html

+1^^^. This is an excellent example "Stangiller" of whats out there as far as a pair of modern 4-strokes, which I'd suggest in your situation. It would be nice to stick w/ those manufacturers still in business. Kawasaki, Yamaha, & SeaDoo. You'll have a bit less maint. + better fuel economy w/ the 4-strokes. Since you're not looking for extreme high perf., stay away from the super/turbo charged skis. Good luck !!!

haulnazz15

Captain

I have no title to the trailer for my boat or my jetski. There's no registration of recreational trailers in Oklahoma, so it's not uncommon at all around here. I agree on sticking to Kawasaki (my favorite), SeaDoo, or Yamaha. The 4-strokes are a bit more maintenance as far as oil changes and stuff, but they run quieter and are more common in the 2000+ model years. I agree on staying away from the forced-induction skis unless you want to deal with a good deal more maintenance and care after each use, as they are quite a bit more demanding. However, I'd love to own the new Kawasaki 300X, lol.

As was mentioned, look for: ease of starting, compression test, water leaks, verify top speed (probably in the upper 50's), impeller condition, easy steering/reverse controls, trim operational (if it's an option), and functioning gauges.

Stangiller

Cadet

I do have one more question. I have a chance to pick up a 2000 Sea Doo Jetboat from a friend of mine. hes pretty much going to give it to me for pennies. as he owes me a fav. Now i live in brookyn NY and i had another conversation a while back about purchasing a Bowrider and i was told there to small for the waters in NY . What about those sea doo's there like jet ski/ Boat but would that handle waters ? ( i will not be on the water day and night and only take it out on calm days ) If so ,why would a bowrider not handle it and a Jetboat would ? ive seen several jetboats around the waters in Brooklyn

WaterDR

Jet Boats do better with waves. But, if it were me, I would not waste much time using a boat that small in NYC. I would take it to the Poconos. Plenty of good places in upstate NY and PA.