how to pull flywheel on 2001 Polaris Virage

defibinme

Recruit
I have teeth missing on the Bendix, so need to replace it but am having trouble removing flywheel. I removed starter and found that bendix is separate item and it looks like you have to remove the flywheel to access the bendix. I tried a wheel puller but no luck moving the flywheel.

I do not have an owners manual or shop manual for the Polaris. Where can I find them?

shagy959

Seaman Apprentice
Re: how to pull flywheel on 2001 Polaris Virage

put the puller on it get it good and tight then take a hammer and give it a good hit and they useally pop im sure you could pull up a how to on youtube also

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have to remove the front plate. When you pull the front plate look for the oil pump. (piece of plastic) It could fall out and you might not see it do that. Then like above post stated. You need a puller. Mine came off pretty easy but without a puller it wouldn't have happened. When you put it back together put a touch of grease on the front plate where the bendix shaft rides. Again, make sure your oil pump is in place as you put the front plate back on.

Question for you, how much did you have to remove to get to the starter. I have to do that in the next couple of weeks. Did you pull the exaust to get to it?

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

After I reread your post I see you are already at the flywheel. I have air tools and mine popped easy. If the hammer suggestion doesn't work maybe you can find some with a impact wrench.