Another SportJet 90 spark problem

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice
Hi im new to the site and have been poking around for a few weeks while trying to fix the problem with my Sport Jet 90. I bought the boat 3 weeks ago knowing that it had no spark and thinking it would be an easy fix by replacing the stator. The boat has the red stator kit on it and i have been running tests on all the electronics and i seem to get hit and miss readings. Is there any little tricks to getting these motors running?

Please Help!

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Another SportJet 90 spark problem

Welcome to the club Im in the same boat no pun intended except I had spark for about an hour of boating then the second time out didn't start.

I found the trigger to be out of speck so replaced it still no spark my stator ohms good my trigger is new i diconnected the kill wire still no spark so I'm down to the swichboxcause my coils ohm good also after that no clue

:-(

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah i have been over everything on the motor 3+ times and just cant seem to get spark. everything checks out good, im just gona break down and buy a new switchbox.

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Electrical on this engine is strange !!!.

If you dont?t have any spark at all. Stator, trigger, cdi box, CDM if you have that, wiring, yellow black kill switch. ingnition cable problem.

If somtimes sparking, wiring , ore CDI/CDM problems, one kill another fresh one, Stator / trigger.

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

i orderd a new switchbox and it will be here friday or saturday. I really hope this fixes the problem, if not i guess im going to drop the money on the cdm conversion kit, that way every thing will be brand new. It seems to me that who ever owned this boat payed to have a new motor put in but when it came to the elc parts they may have mixed matched them and that might be the reason it wont spark.

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

Well new switchbox came, I took all elctronic parts off the motor and cleaned up all the gound connections reinstalled the old with the new parts. Turned the water on and she fired on the first key, she ran and idled great so i packed my things and headed out to my buddys lake where we then did a test drive. Boat will not plain out or do over 10 mph plus the plugs fouled out. Thinking this may be caused by the carbs needing rebuilt and possibly a new gaskit being needed on the ride plate? A friend sugested looking at the prop that it may need to be reshimed? Does any one know something about shimming the prop?

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm glad the engine fired up as for the ride plate mine was blown in the front bend down about 1/2 inch and the rubber seal was pretty rough so I removed it bent it back into shape using some 2x4 and a mallet as for fixing the rubber seal i used some rv rubber or tar or whatever the black bead comes on a paper backing available at the rv dealers it worked like a charm.

Make sure the ride plate is not sticking out else it will cause cavitation. as for the impeller the wear ring can be built up using jb weld. just make sure you clear the cooling water intake.

As for the plugs unless you do a high speed shutdown procedure they will always look wet.

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

Ride plate and seal are fine. So now im thinking it has to be the wear ring causeing the problem. Is there a write up on fixing the wear ring with jbweld?

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info...Sounds like something i will be doing this week to get her back out on the water this weekend. You wouldnt happen to know how to take the wear ring off would you?

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never done it but you have to remove the nozzle and the stator the wear ring is part of the stator and its held on by 4 bolts if im not mistaken just make sure you dont loose the o ring for the cooling water supply

Here is a breakdown http://www.**********/parts/search/Merc2/Jet/90%20%28JET%20DRIVE%29%201994/0E037000%20THRU%200E080399/NOZZLE-RUDDER%20COMPONENTS%20%28SPLINED%20DRIVE%29/parts.html

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

my buddy has said something about htere being some shims in there to adjust to make it all true again. but i cant find a single thing on these so called shims

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The sims were used on the rear 2 bolts of the ride plate to trim the boat has nothing to do with your issue.

The impeler and wear ring are tight tolerance wise and any gap will prevent the pump from l loading up

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

the breakdown doesnt show the full web address...I would like to look at it to see what im getting into. can you send it to me in a PM?

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

tried to fix the wear ring. every thing looked good when i put it all togather, took it out this weekend and still not able to get it to plain out or gain any kind of speed. Any other sugestions?

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the impeller slipping on the shaft by any chance and how is the reverse bucket adjustment

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

The reverse bucket/clame shell adjustment is fine. It right where it should be. I dont see how the impeller could be slipping as it threaded on there i think? Its a little late now to check but maybe after work tomorrow i can get a chance to take a look and see.

Trailratethisfx4

Seaman Apprentice

Just wet out side real quick to take a look at everything and all seems to be ok. But i did find that the seal around the ride plate seems to be a little dry rotted and one of the corners looks like theres a big enough gap to let air or exhause what ever come out of there. Wondering could this be my problem?