no compression cyl. 1

swampy2646

Seaman
i have a 2005 yamaha 1200 xlt. yesterday it was running fine and then just sputtered and died at 3/4 throttle. checked compression today. no compression cyl. 1, 2& 3 are ok. any ideas?

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Re: no compression cyl. 1

you should still have some compression with a blown head gasket. Are your cylinders set up so that its a single cylinder head, or 3 separate domes?

Do you see any oil leaking out around the head or pieces of the gasket that have blown out? I think you will need to take the head off and inspect.

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

on that model, i'd look for a oil line that came off or a clogged fuel filter inside the carb on #1. since the carbs are hard to get to, they often get ignored and its really hard to see the oil lines with the exhaust in place. that model has a 3 separate jugs so you can replace just one jug. figure out the problem before you replace the jug/piston or you'll likely have the same result.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

could be anything from bad head gasket, to the piston melted due to a lean condition to a broken connecting rod. pull the plug and look at the plug. if its covered in aluminum, your piston is toast. if you can look down the spark plug holes, you may want to do that too.