91 Waverunner Mikuni BN 44 Round body with a Keihin fuel pump ???

soldier-at-war

Recruit
I recently purchased two waverunners at fair price only to find out the 1991 650 LX does not run once I got it to the lake. It started, took one little ride and that was it. Compression was 149 and 152 which I thought was a little high. Turns out it was not getting any fuel and the previous owner had the wrong plugs in it !!! :mad (no piston damage) Anyway to make a long story longer, I decided it was probably time to pull the carb, fuel pump and reed valves for inspection. I'm glad I did. One reed valve was slightly bent open and the fuel pump diaphram was destroyed. Still, no problem right??? I am trying to order parts online for the unit and I am quite confused. The service manual clearly shows the carb and pump I have but every listing I see for the model has a mikuni SBN square body with the built in pump. Even the Yamaha guy locally tried to sell me these parts. After researching a bit, it appears that the standard BN round body pump kit will work, I just need to discard the pump gaskets. Then I will have to purchase the Keihin fuel pump rebuild kit???? Does this make sense to anyone or did I lose you??? lol Is this common for this model to have these two seperate pieces? The carburator is clearly marked Mikuni and there is no markings on the pump other that what appears to be a GK?? I posted what my carb looks like and the pump.

Any advise or clearification of this would be great!CARBURETOR.jpgpump.png

Cheers

soldier-at-war

Recruit
Re: 91 Waverunner Mikuni BN 44 Round body with a Keihin fuel pump ???

OK, only minutes after I posted this....

I found out that the 1990 WAVE RUNNER LX - WR650D has the same set up that I have. Mine is 1991 Wave Runner LX
WR650P. Is this common??

I'm confused...where did I put that drink???

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 91 Waverunner Mikuni BN 44 Round body with a Keihin fuel pump ???

discard that round body BN and buy a good used Mikuni SBN off ebay or one of the various pwc sites. The BN is hard to tune and notorious for being a general pita.