tonyred sportjet 175 no spark black stator

tonyred

Recruit
hi all,
I'm new here so thanks in advance for any help.
A friend of mine bought a sportjet 175 fitted to a rib, all was rosy on his first outing, he flushed out and went to launch for a second day. It would not start. He asked me to take a look, as i'm fairly ok with wiring and diagnostics . I never dealt with an outboard/jet style set up before although I have solved quite a few problems on other inboard outdrive and jet boats.
When the engine would not fire he flicked the tether kill switch a few times, the switch body came off in his hand
the connectors were still in place.
There are 3 wires going to the kill switch purple, black/white and black/yellow
he connected them together in turn ie bl/wh to bl/y but no joy.
he then called me and asked me to take a look.

he had been flushed out the engine after use and the hose did come off so there was a fair amount of water sprayed on one side of engine, coils ecc got wet on starboard side, port side appears dry.

what we have is
engine number Oe353451 which makes it a 98/99 175 hp from what i can gather
no sound from choke/rich start when key pressed in to activate this.
wires at kill switch black/white ground (small resistance)
purple no voltage no ground
black yellow no voltage no ground. Whern cranking there is a reading of up to 8 v on the black/yellow but its a digital meter so I cant say how valid that is
no wires connected to kill switch at moment

from stator, red/white, blue/white which have a short yellow sleeve keeping them together. yellow, yellow, black, blue, red wires.
battery voltage 12.39 (it was probably a bit higher but has dropped a bit due to cranking)
crank engine no spark on either bank
I disconnected the bl/y from each bullet connector in turn, no spark
I disconnected one yellow to voltage reg, no spark on either bank. no voltage either. The second one was very tight so I did not force it(this is from trouble shooting guide for red stator, but I figured I would give it a shot)

I found this wiring diagram on line (if its not ok to post outside links can mods delete) which although from 1996 does appear to match what i have. http://motorka.org/doc/mercury/service_manual/jet/SJ175XR2_852396r1/2a.pdf

The trouble shooting section gives values for 400rpm 1000rpm and 3000rpm which is not a lot of help when I cant get any rpm or spark.

At this point I could do with some suggestions or help.
Again Thanks in adfvance
tony