95 kawasaki no electrical except trim

EBBTIDE182

Seaman Apprentice
ok i will start my info out like this. This weekend as i was driving to work i happened to notice 2 jet skis sitting in a guys front yard. as i drive by i notice they have a sign on them and it says 500. so me being curious i just had to call and ask if it was for both or each. well long story short they are sitting in my garage now so yes 500 for both plu a double trailer. One is a 95 yamaha wave raider 750 and the other one is a 95 kawasaki zxi 750. Ok so as im talking with the previous owner he tells me that the kawi had the motor rebuilt in 2010 and last year he was on the lake with it and stoped to talk to some one and it would crank but none of the lights or any thing would work. The yamaha he told me ran but needed the carbs tuned a little bit. Ok i know this dragging on but i wanted to make sure you guys know what i know before i start this. Neither ski's had a battery so i went and bought new batteries for both. the yamaha starts and runs but i didnt want to run it to long with out being on a hose or in the water. so my first question is am i safe to run these on a hose some how or even just to start it for a quick second dry? ok so on to the kawi. Put the new battery in it and i still dont have any lights or gauges on the dash. i have juice to the fuse box but nothing comes out when i hit the start button. Now upon checking with a test light i accidently touched both leads together on the positative and it cranked and it had spark. but nothing will work with the start switch. Also the power trim works up and down. So it sounds as if i could have a fuse blown or what else could be wrong? also do i have to take all those bolts off the top of that box to get to the fuses or do i just turn the black plugs out that have the wires on them and the fuses are under there? also i have a blue wire with a black stripe and a brown ring and a black wire with a brown ring connected together and im not for sure where they go either positative or negative side? and i also have a plug with a blue wire and brown ring and a black wire with a white stripe and a brown ring not hooked up to any thing and when i test the black wire it is hot. Does this plug need to go some where? and my last question is on top of the fuse box there are two big male spades sticking there with nothing on them. is there something that needs to be there? I know this is a long post guys but im new to jet skis. Thanks for the help!!!!!!

EBBTIDE182

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 95 kawasaki no electrical except trim

ok some updated info. i finally got the black cap off the top of the e-box. both fuses in there are good as i have power through the trim and the main fuses. also the trim gauge works but thats all i have right now. can i take the top off of the e-box and check the stuff inside? ski 2.jpg this picture is of the plug that isnt hooke up to any thing

EBBTIDE182

Seaman Apprentice

here is the picture of the two things on top of the e-box that im not sure what are supposed to be hooked to them if anything.ski.JPG

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The two things on the top of the box is where you put the plug wires when the spark plugs are not in.

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is correct about the two terminal on top of the box, the jet ski have a closed electical system and if you turn the motor over without the plugs in you may fry your stator/cdi. The Kawi is prone to loss of control (when coming off the throtle) with too much weight on the front half of hte ski, it will just spin around (best way I can put it), they fixed this in '96 with a trianular piece on the front bottom of the hull. I found this out on mine when I owned one going wot and then spinning around with the handle bars sunk into my lap. If you go to GreenHulk PWC's website they maybe able to give you ohm readings to check out your stator, with a multi-meeter. The '95 have a specific stator for just that year, and I believe your problem is why they were change going forward.

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do have '95 750 ZXI stator that needs to be rewound if you are interested, if you end up needing another one.

EBBTIDE182

Seaman Apprentice

i havnt taken the plugs out of the kawi yet. i just put my inline spark lights on it to see if it was pulsing which will still let it run there is just a bulb that flashes. and like i said it did have spark going through it cause the lights were flashing. I just dont have any power to the start switch to make it start when the button is pushed