Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for wire diagram for updated cdm conversion for a 96 mercury 120xr sportjet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: looking for wire diagram for updated cdm conversion for a 96 mercury 120xr sportj

aksor so what you are saying is i dont need it with the cdm's? i plug the red stator directly into the cdm harness with the green/white and white/green and im all set ? im curious why they had it hooked up then. everything is for the updated cdm. ,aybe they were wrong. like i said this was a mess and im just trying to figure it out. now that i have the crankshaft replaced and have 150psi in all 4 cylinders i dont wanna burn out the electrical and set myself even further back.

Comment

Re: looking for wire diagram for updated cdm conversion for a 96 mercury 120xr sportj

its funny there are a few of us trying to get out on the water but were having the same issue with no spark, my problem seems to be that in my boat is a new motor with miss matched elc parts that dont seem to want to work togather...

Comment

yeah this is all new to me too. im good with the motor parts of it but not the electrical . i was just given a mercury marine technician book for my motor. the one the marine mechanics use and not the one sold to the public. was a nice score. but still dont explain the litle candy bar... so tomorrow i try it without it and see what happens. i can rebuild the motor and carbs and stuff like that ib ny sleep but i suck at electrical.

Comment

I cant be 100% sure because i dont have the 120 and mine is a switchbox based cdi 90hp motor with the red stator i waz basing it on the very first picture that shows a cdi ignition with 4 coils

Comment

Try this link and look at the wiring diagram on the last page for a 120 cdm wiring diagram

http://motorka.org/doc/mercury/servi...96r1/sec2b.pdf

Comment

Yup forget the candybar its not required

Comment

Comment

well this weekend i will be putting all the wiring on the motor and putting it in the water to try and start it without the candy bar.. lol...hopefully i will hear the sweet sound of a purring motor. i thank you all for your input on this very confusing motor. i will post up my results when i can. thanks again

Comment

If it doesn't spark after you get it all wired up knowing that the boat initally had a mismatch of electronics on it make sure that the flywheel is the right one for the cdm trigger because if its the older cdi flywheel you will have to use the cdi trigger.

Check out this post regarding this issue.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=256035

Comment

it is a brand new flywheel so im hoping its the right one. i will get numbers off everything tonight and check. when i bought the boat it came with 2 extra triggers , 2 red stators, the 4 cdm's, regular coils, extra set of electronics and harness. and all the electronics that were on the motor its self. i bought it with a broken crankshaft and the guy said it had no spark...... gee i wonder why. also had a blown out ride plate so im assuming he tried to start it out of the water.....#1 rule.... NEVER START IT OUT OF THE WATER !!! so we will see what happens when i put it in the water and crank it over tonight......

Comment

ok so after all this i have gone through i think i may have the wrong flywheel. it is part #261-859236c. it seems to be from a 2003 mercury 125hp outboard im not sure if its an interchangable part with my motor but its the one i have and seems to be just a bit too small so my starter wont engage with it completely and i did figure out that the candy bar size thing is in fact for the older upgrade. see #38 in the picture below. it is used with the older coils. so this is a list of the part numbers i could find.
                        flywheel: 261-859236c
                        trigger:828303a1
                        rev limiter:821889a24
                        rect:815279-4
                        no number on stator except 96b
                        well thats what i have and still dont have a running boat but im gonna go try another starter that i have and maybe it will work with the flywheel. or maybe i will just pull the transom plugs and let it sink to the bottom of my lake.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	ignition.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	7043578

Comment

I feel your pain at least I had mine running for 50 minutes on the water before all my issues started
                          Yuo came this far dont give up I felt the same way

Btw try shipwreck salvage for used flywheel i think they might have one for a cdm motor but it i
                          Was on a 90 might be the same part#

Comment

http://shipwrecksalvage.net/cart/spo...20-p-1860.html

Comment

thanks for the info and its the wrong flywheel for sure that i have. its brand new too. what a shame. i will put it on ebay and try and sell it to pay for the other flywheel. at this point i dont care if i find an older flywheel that uses the old style electronics for now. i have all the old stuff like the coils and switchbox etc. i got it to turn over to check compression but i guess with plugs in it it puts more of a strain on the starter and flywheel meshing up and the starter just grinds on the flywheel teeth. seems like its like a 1/4" too narrow in diameter to mesh up properly. oh well i WILL get this thing running but for now it sits tied to my dock.

Comment

I'm also on hold as I wait for my express delivery to ship my cdi box except its been nothing express about it ordered it last monday still not here this sucks

Comment

Working...
                                X