Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for wire diagram for updated cdm conversion for a 96 mercury 120xr sportjet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for wire diagram for updated cdm conversion for a 96 mercury 120xr sportjet

i bought a sugar sands mirage with a mercury sportjet 120xr motor. it had a broken crankshaft. thats all fixed now. it has a red stator. the wires were a mess and i paid little attention to where they went when i pulled the motor. like i said it has a red stator, brand new flywheel, new rev limiter and a little box the size of a candy bar and 4 newer coils or cdm's or whatever you wanna call them. im completely lost and dont wanna guess and blow something up . could someone please point me in the right direction to find the wiring diagram or some pictures. id really appreciate it . kend301 if you could chime in on this it would be great. thans all in advance. here are a couple pics of what im working with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IM003102.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	7166300Click image for larger version

Name:	IM003103.jpg
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	7166301

Re: looking for wire diagram for updated cdm conversion for a 96 mercury 120xr sportj

well acording to my serial # lookup the ignition electronics are all wrong on this motor. looks like someone put older coils on it with a switchbox. the cdm's, voltage regulator and rev limiter that are in the 2nd picture above are the ones i needed to have on the motor. now to figure out the wiring for the updated trigger and stator and adaptor and i should be good to go. and i DO have a service manual for the motor.

Comment

Re: looking for wire diagram for updated cdm conversion for a 96 mercury 120xr sportj

ok im gaining on it i think. this is what i have put together now. i have my whole ignition system laid out on the floor and have most of it together with the exception of a few wires and the upgrade connector box. so any help here would be great. i cant afford to be replacing parts if i cook them.

Name:	IM003106.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	7042141Click image for larger version

Name:	IM003107.jpg
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	7042142Click image for larger version

Name:	IM003108.jpg
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	7042143Click image for larger version

Name:	IM003110.jpg
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	7042144

Comment

ok can someone at least tell me where to connect this please. i have searched this forum as well as did a internet search for mercury sport jet 120xr cdm upgrade and have come up empty handed. this is the only thing holding me back from getting my boat running and in the water. theres plenty of info for the 90hp but not much for the 120xr hp. ive got my new crankshaft installed and everything put back together and this is all thats left......... so close yet so far.
        thanks

Name:	IM003111.jpg
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	7042154

Comment

really ???? guess im gonna have to call mercury then.

Comment

The green/white, white/green wires hook up to the stator and the other wires will hook up to the switch box. because of the red stator kit there will be 1 or 2 wires left open comeing from the switch box. im currently working on a Sport Jet 90 that some one did the red stator kit on, but the damn thing will not spark.

Comment

i have the updated cdm modules so i dont have switch box. and thats my problem. i know the green/white and the white/green from the stator go to the same color wires on the adaptor and duh the black is ground. but where do the blue/white and blue wires go. thats all i have left. i called mercury and they were like talking to a rock on the phone.

Comment

ok i kinda figured it out and i guess its not rocket science. the adaptors final 2 wires connect to the 2 sets od paired up cdm wires but my delema is both sets of wires have female bullet ends so now im confused. do i just replace the ends on one set with male ends or am i missing something. ughhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i really wish someone who knopws this would chime in. i have 190+ views and no one knows ?????? are you all just looking for the same answer as me?

Comment

ok then .... thanks everyone for your help. anyone wanna buy a jet boat. needs 2 wires figured out but dont ask where they go one here cause you will never find out.

Comment

Comment

thanks anders67 but the wires im looking for are from the cdm connector and they are as the picture shows, the solid blue and the blue with white stripe.Click image for larger version

Name:	IM0031111.jpg
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	7043366

Comment

Comment

the snickers bar looking thing is from the red stator up date from the black stator. The red stator puts out more power then the black one and i think from what i have been told it regulates the power going from stator to the switch box.

If any one knows of somewhere where i can get that candy bar looking thing please let me know, plus what to call it.

Comment

Hi again.

But with CDM, do you need it ??.

Mine have none, and i have the red stator and same CDM that on the pictures here.

Regards Anders

Comment

The red stator adapter was for the original cdi ignition switchbox the cdm does not use it

Comment

Working...
                              X