97 Wave Venture 1100

acsbmx_1

Recruit
Hello all. You will definately be able to tell I'm an in-experienced boater by the question I ask so please just guide me in the right direction if possible.

I have a 97 Yamaha Wave Venture 1100 that ran absolutely perfect for hours on the water about 2 weeks ago. The vent to allow air into the fuel tank is not working correctly so we thought we had an issue. I pulled it out and took it home and diagnosed this issue as vapor lock. No biggie. In the mean time I can just loosen the fuel cap to let air in until I can get another vent.

So I took the boat out again this memorial day weekend. The battery was completely dead so I jump started the boat. The boat was out of the water and I hurried up and put the boat in the water. The time from starting (no reving whatsoever) to the time in the water was approximately 2-3 min. I idled the ski out past the no wake and opened it up. It ran fine. Then I hit a wave and it died. Battery was completely shot as it would not turn over. I towed it in, ran and got a new battery and it started just fine. So I took the boat back out and it hesitated to run. Acted as though it wasnt getting fuel so I had to "pump" the throttle and it would pick back up. While doing this it would eventually die after 1-2 min of riding. Then the boat would not turn over. I would just head a thud as if the starter was engaging, but not turning the motor over. If I let the boat sit and not try to start it for 1-2 min, then it would turn over and start. Almost like it was getting too hot. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. Anyone have any experience like this before?

Thanks.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 97 Wave Venture 1100

Yes, I had the exact same experience (without the starting out of water and bad battery). It happened on my 1997 GP760. I also thought it was a vent problem. But come to find out, I had lost the oil pump as I was riding and it got too hot. The pump was a faulty new pump. Ruined the piston rings and ended up rebuilding the top end. Never had that problem again after that and after replacing the oil pump. My advice is to check the compression and the oil pump function.

Good luck

acsbmx_1

Recruit

Oh great! I feared it would be the motor and need to be rebuilt. Although, it did smoke while it was running and I dont pre-mix the fuel and oil. How would I check the oil pump operation? Also, what is the compression that I should get when checking? 130?

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class

Compression is more of a comparison between the cyclinders. You want to be no more than 5%-8% difference in two cyclingers and 10%- 15% difference between highest and lowest in three cyclinder engines. To check oil injection pump, locate the hose which supplies the pump with oil, disconnect it and pinch it off so more oil will not spill out. Attach a new longer tube with 2 stoke oil in it and have it held up in the air so gravity will constantly feed the pump. Make a mark at where the oil level is, pre-misx some oil and fuel and start the motor then turn on the hose (for engine cooling) closely watch the oil level in the new tube if it does not drop the pump is shot. If you mix oil and fuel you will not damage the engine. If the oil level moves, refill gas tank with gas/oil mix and re-attach original oil lines and make a mark on oil tank. Drive the jet ski and remember how much fuel you refill the tank till full, then add oil until it reaches the mark, that will give you your oil/gas ratio. This will tell you if your oil pump will need adjustment to maintain proper mixture with fuel.