1994 baja blast with sportjet 120 issues keeping it running in water.

xrp861

Cadet
Ok so I have a 94 baja blast with a sportjet 120 in it. Took it out after I bought it and ran great. Not one issue what so ever. Next day took it out ran for 20 min died left me stranded in the bay. The starter wouldn't spin the motor at all. Had my uncle tow me in brought the boat home pulled the plugs and it'd spin no problem. Put em back in and nothing so I put a new starter and solinoid in and it'd fire up no problem. So I went to take it out to the lake with my uncle and friends yesterday and it wouldn't even stay running. took it home pulled the plugs again no water in bthe cylinders so I ran a compression test. Well all the numbers checked out 125 125 145 145. So I'm clueless here I mean I did find out the boat does not have the right plugs in it,carbs are clean,has fuel, and has spark. Now I was reading the firing order and it says 1324....now my question here is are the coils in order 1234 on the block? 1 being at the top by the flywheel. Cause if that's the case the guy I bought this from had been running it wrong since I got it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anthony

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1994 baja blast with sportjet 120 issues keeping it running in water.

120 Coils:
#1 - Green
#2 - Green/White
#3 - Green/Red
#4 - Green/Black

Daley

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One thing that plagued me when I got mine was the fact that those little "clear" (yellow-ish) tubes on the left side of the carbs were clogged with gunk. Sure, my carbs were spotless - but those hoses were definitely not. The engine would start and run fine in the driveway, but couldn't even get it to plane on the water. Just something to look for.

xrp861

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. The coils are wired correctly. As for the yellowish tubes I'm kinda stumped. I snapped some pics if anyone sees anything out of the blue that I should check just let me know please.

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e23/xrp861/sporrjet%20120/?action=view&current=2012-06-04091705.jpg

That is a whole album of I think 8 or 9 pics.

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Daley is talking about the carb vent tubes. On picture 6/10 it's the black tube/hose that goes to the sound attenuator (air cleaner). The fittings they connect to on the carbs as well as the black hoses need to be cleaned out. They tend to get gummed up.

xrp861

Cadet

Well alrighty. Ill clean them out then. Is this something you'd reccomend doing after every use of the boat? Also I pulled the battery from my truck and put it in the boat being as the battery is dead and it fired up but I had to crank the crap out of it. I am also going to check the coils and trigger and such just so I know if anything else is going on.

Thanks for the quick response.

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Shouldn't need to do it very often....depends on how much you use the boat and the fuel. I've had the same issue with my riding lawnmower that the vent on the gas cap gets clogged and you have to clean it out. Maybe twice a year if you use it a lot. The big thing is when the vents are clogged the floats won't rise and shut off fuel flow so you'll flood the engine. Makes hard to start, may even notice fuel running out of the front of the carbs.

xrp861

Cadet

Have another question...is the rudder supposed to move when the boat isn't running? When I move the throttle it doesn't do anything. Idk if its supposed to be that way or not. Just trying to cover more bases before the weekend. I still have yet the clean the vent tubes but its not an issue being they're easy to get off. Also checked the stator and voltage reg and they're alright. Did this just to be sure. Got the oem plugs ql76v and charged the battery and it starts no problem now. I'm just hoping for the best when I drop ther trailor in the launch this weekend. Granted I got a deal on this boat but I don't wanna put a butt load of money in it.

Rscott113

Recruit

I have the same boat. I had several issues when I got mine as well. I replaced the starter, battery, and had the carbs professionally cleaned. Took it out and also couldn't keep it running. I took it back to my mechanic that went through everything and cleaned out the vent hoses you guys were talking about and I haven't had an issue since. I run a pipe cleaner through mine every time before I take it to the lake just for good measure. Does anyone have any advice on how to either install a new choke or get mine to work when you push the key in? The last issue I have had is the choke doesnt work.

xrp861

Cadet

Ok I'm about to go bananas over here yet again di th same thing this weekend. I smell no fuel at all when I crank this thing. I'm gonna get the fuel pump kit and see if that helps. I pulled the plugs and I didn't even smell gas from cranking it then either. It has a full tank in it so I kno it has fuel. Any help from here would be great.

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi.

You have the earlier model of ingition.

Do you have sparks on plugs?. Sparks on all plugs?.

If you loosen the fuel line to te top carb. . Does it deliver fuel from tank, to pump, in hose to the carb ?.

The lid/ with the steel fuel filter in it, on the inlet/fuelpump shall be mounted with the hose at 4 o clock position.

You shall have 3 fuelvalves and one membran in the fuelpump, and a spring, a gasket on the backside between the engine port lid and the pump.

It?s very important that you have the fuelpressure that shall be on this engine, othervise it can run lean, and you seaze it, ore wath you call it in the states :) ( melt the pistons and make them stuck in the cylinders of to mutch heat).

Just restored a 1996 120XR with CDM modules.

Regards from Sweden :)

xrp861

Cadet

Ya know I didn't check all the coils. Ill do that today as well as the top line on the carbs. I read it should flow not pulse. I'm also going to see about a home made flush kit adapter because I'm not going to shell out $100. For one. I'm almost certain there's spark on all 4 plugs but I culd be wrong. Also does anyone know how to check to plug wires on this? I have a dmm so I just need to know how to do so. This is by far more fustrating than doing a clutch on a 4wd truck lol.

xrp861

Cadet

Ok so I have spark on all 4 coils and fuel is coming out of that line. Now is it supposed to be a sready flow coming out?

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fuel pressure shall be 3,5 PSI on idle 6 PSI on WOT. Check so you dont have dirt in fuel blocking filter. I had a lot of dirt in mine gas tank. So when my engine started to run good. It sucked up a lot o debris, blocking the fuel flow, and nearly overheated the engine one time. So i put a in line filter just after the pick up in tank, one is in the lid on the fuelpump, and put one after pump, before the carbs.

The first filter i had to shange nearly after one tank of gas :eek: now 4-5 times. ANd filled up the filter on the pump lot of times before putting the filter after the pick up.

Timing 8-10 degrees on running idle 30 degrees on 5000 rpm. One thing to check if it will not run is , take out the top spark plug, put a long screwdriver in the spark plug hole, turn the flywheel and feel when the piston are in top position, now you shall see the timing mark on flywheel in front on engine, thorugh the square hole in the flywheel proctection , just in front of the engine a angle metal bit is mounted with a mark in it, there you shall have 0 on flywheel with piston in top position. Otherwise if not the flywheel key can be broken ore damaged. Not uncommon on this engine .

Flush kit?. There is a originally mounted flush kit on many of these engines. But that one you shall not use if you run the engine up of whater. That one is more for flushing through head and cooling cannels, if you vant to be shure there is no dirt in the cannels, sucked up running boat in shallow whater/ sand etc., for example. Ore flushing out the engine after running in salt whater.

You can diskonnect the hose komming up from lower unit to the engine (just behind the lower spark plug) and put on the garden hose there with a garden hose plastic thread adapter, so i do on mine. Just run it on a low steady flow, not full pressure.

So what are the problem just now on your engine?. That it starts and run, then suddenly dies. Ore can you not start it at all?. Ore that it runs and when you stop it , it will not start up again?.

xrp861

Cadet

It'll start just fine idles ike crap in netral for a few then dies. Also dies when you put it in gearand idling. I also pulled the fuel pump and just dunno if the diaphrams bad. Shoould it be snug with no wrinkels in it? its gotta be fuel related because I've checked everything. And for it to run sweet one day and then like *** the next is just pointing to something small.

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi . I?ts hard to put the membran in this pump . It shall be straight ,smoot, no cracks ore hole. Check also the 3 valves in pump so the ok..

Check all lines on idle system, if you have that on your engine. There is a bunch of thin hoses going from carb plate to cylinder port lid.

I took mine of and find one hose blocked, there are also back-stop valves in some models. Check so they work.

Check Carbs right float level, so the jets are ok, and air venturi in the middle ok. idle tuning screw ok ( sharp smooth needle piont ).

Check timing. 8-10 degrees on idling, 30 on WOT.

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi . I?ts hard to put the membran in this pump . It shall be straight ,smoot, no cracks ore hole. Check also the 3 valves in pump so the ok..

Check all lines on idle system, if you have that on your engine. There is a bunch of thin hoses going from carb plate to cylinder port lid.

I took mine of and find one hose blocked, there are also back-stop valves in some models. Check so they work.

Check Carbs right float level, so the jets are ok, and air venturi in the middle ok. idle tuning screw ok ( sharp smooth needle piont ).

Check timing. 8-10 degrees on idling, 30 on WOT.

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To replace the membrane in the fuel pump use a feeler gauge to keep the spring compressed while u put the two halves together.