1996 Tigershark no fuel to carb

Charles3390

Recruit
I got a 1996 Tigershark Montego DLX a couple months ago that doesn't work. Looks like the guy that had it before rebuilt the engine. Looks great! Charged the battery, tried starting it, engine turns over but no start. I have spark in the plugs and all the wiring is new. starter works fine, but it just doesn't seem to get fuel to the carb, I checked the fuel lines and there all clear.

No idea whats wrong, can anyone help?

ballsout

Cadet
Re: 1996 Tigershark no fuel to carb

try squirting some fuel in the carb and see if it will fire at all. also you can take the hose off the carb from the fuel pump and try and crank it over ( put the hose in a bottle first to avoid spilling a bunch of fuel) if there is nothing coming out you most likely have a bad fuel pump.

PSG-1

Seaman

Not familiar with your particular engine, but I used to have a TS900, and a TS1000. Both of them used a Mikuni DF62-702 pentagonal fuel pump.

The fuel pump on tigersharks will usually be mounted on top of the fuel tank, or on the engine plate, on the carb side of the engine. Could be the diaphragms need to be replaced.

Daley

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If I remember right it's on the left side of the engine (mechanical on our setups). According to advice I've read here, remove the fuel hose from the carb and stick it in a jar. Crank the engine and watch the fuel flow. If it's a steady stream, you're good - if it's anything less (including pulses), replace the diaphragm in the fuel pump.

Matt03

Recruit

I got a 1996 Tigershark Montego DLX a couple months ago that doesn't work. Looks like the guy that had it before rebuilt the engine. Looks great! Charged the battery, tried starting it, engine turns over but no start. I have spark in the plugs and all the wiring is new. starter works fine, but it just doesn't seem to get fuel to the carb, I checked the fuel lines and there all clear.

No idea whats wrong, can anyone help?

I also have a 1996 Tigershark. There is no external fuel pump, it is attached to the carb. Mine did the same thing. Turns out the pickup tubes were rotted away so I was not picking up any fuel. Open the hatch in the front of the jetski, if you look at the top of the fuel tank there are 4 lines going into the tank. The second and 4th lines are the main line and the reserve line. Un-screw the two lines from the tank and there should be a pickup tube going into the tank, if nt replace with new tubing and problem solved.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your best bet is to do what ballsout suggested and squirt some gas into the carbs and try starting the engine. If it runs for a second or two, then you know that it's a fuel issue. It could be the pickup tubes in the tank as Matt03 says or it could be a stuck needle and seat. The needle and seat allow the fuel into the carbs. If it has been a while since the ski was last run and fuel stabilizer wasn't used, there is a good chance the fuel has dried up and left behind "varnish" effectively gluing together the needle and seat preventing fuel from entering the carb. If that's the case, you'll need to disassemble the carbs and clean them up. Doing so is a good idea on any used ski!