Jet ski won't turn over - help needed with electrical issue

TravG

Cadet
I've a 1995 Kawasaki Zxi jet ski and it's driving me crazy! When I try starting, it won't turn over, though it ran fine last year. The starter is fine (verified by bypassing the relay), the starter relay works (verified by removing and hooking the battery directly to the leads), but something isn't working in the wiring between the battery and the relay. The wiring diagram in the manual isn't all that great, so I'm struggling to find the issue. I've tested for continuity on the start switch, and I've verified that the kill portion of the stop switch works. I'm pretty sure the battery (key) switch works. If I measure voltage at the starter relay input (not the battery side, I mean the switch side for engaging the relay), it measures about 9 volts before pressing the start button, and no gain when I press start, even though the battery will read 12+ volts. Since I'm getting some juice here, I think the wires themselves are ok (plus I've checked continuity along all the wires.) Perhaps this means there's a ground somewhere? The fuses are fine.

The only thing I can think of is the kill switch. I'm not very familiar, electrically speaking, how it kills the engine once started, but I wouldn't think it would prevent the starter from turning, I would think it would ground the ignition coils or something.

Here's another juicy fact - when I first hooked up my battery this year, it did turn over. I realized some of the battery water had evaporated over winter, so it quickly lost it's charge, but at least it turned. I hooked up a smaller, but good battery, and nothing! Then, after tinkering and tinkering, I did once get it to turn over. I thought I had solved the problem (thought it was a bad connection at the relay) but when I put it all back together and tried to start it later - nothing! Arg!

Any suggestions? I'm determined to figure this out myself!

TravG

Cadet
Re: Jet ski won't turn over - help needed with electrical issue

See wiring diagram attached.

Wiring Diagram.jpg

TravG

Cadet
Re: Jet ski won't turn over - help needed with electrical issue

Ok, figured it out, it was a grounding issue. The ground wire was bad... I must admit I'm still not clear on why I measure voltage (~9v) at the relay (switch side, not starter or battery side) before hitting start. I noticed if I disconnected the ground from the magneto, this voltage goes away.