94 sport jet 90 flywheel exact magnet locations please !!

paulchace

Cadet
All 6 of my magnets are off does anyone have any pictures of where exactly they go
They must live somewhere particular for the timing issue
I need to try glueing them back before I tell my buddy he has to fork over $$$$ for a new one when I know I can fix this one, with your help.................I have 2 pics to go by, neither one is really definitive
anyone??? Thanks, Paul

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 94 sport jet 90 flywheel exact magnet locations please !!

104_6868.jpg

Here is a photo of a 40 HP flywheel with the sawsall blade set at a gap in the magnets and pointing toward the cast numbers. Now: Since the two and three cylinder engines use the same trigger but placed differently, (don'r ask, I only read what is on the trigger) I would not be surprised if this flywheel is the same as yours. At any rate, you can see the key and the center magnet in addition to the rim magnets.

Again, as explained in the PM, rim magnet position should not be critical because they only charge the CD and battery; they do not set timing.

paulchace

Cadet

Thank you, Frank for taking the time to help me, and my bud, out. I have a bead blaster and will commence asap. Yesterday, I took another look at the motor and found 2 cracked, broken, in several peices....magnets making up the coil pak. I guess if I buy 3, she'll be good. Then I can spin the motor again and see if I can find a spark. The stator isn't bad, and with a little sanding perhaps I wont have to replace that. I'll send you a pic later today. Thanks again, Paul

paulchace

Cadet

By the way what is the cd and.......does the trigger have to be in a particular position to enable spark? Dumb question, but I had to ask, I work at a golf course on Cape Cod. I dont have and triggers to take care of here, reels and more reels nice tractors, lots and lots of hydraulic stuff and dozens and dozens of tires and batterys.

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is the flywheel from my '95 SJ90. They are evenly spaced and you may be able to use the keyway as a point of reference:

sj6.jpg

paulchace

Cadet

Thanks, Frank that looks a lot like mine.......I'll use it as a guide. Enlighten me please if you would. The trigger must be in a certain position to enable starting, yes? How does that work? Thanks again, Paul
Could you take a shot with the flywheel key way straight up at 12 o'clock?? Thanks. I checked ********** and that is the same flywheel as mine, same same.

venxxxxx

Seaman

All 6 of my magnets are off does anyone have any pictures of where exactly they go
They must live somewhere particular for the timing issue
I need to try glueing them back before I tell my buddy he has to fork over $$$$ for a new one when I know I can fix this one, with your help.................I have 2 pics to go by, neither one is really definitive
anyone??? Thanks, Paul

In my opinion, and someone do correct me if im wrong, the magnets on there aren't doing anything else but creating a magnetic field which in turn convert into electricity for the ignition and charging purposes. Other than that, the trigger is the one doing the timing. The positions should be evenly space so it wont be out of balance...thats all it is. Again, its my opinion.

paulchace

Cadet

I have some difficulty examining the stator, I have 4 wires and they are not the same color as the troubleshooting procedure in the clymer book. I'm just attempting to ohm it out and see if the guy needs to spend more dough. I have a green wire, a white one and two yellows, along with pics I have the adaptor, one blue wire out and 3 in. Anyone have a method to test the stator and adaptor??? The switchbox # is 18495A15 made in dec of 2006 @ plant 7 and the stator has a number on it N-185870 anyone feel free to chime in. I dont yet know how to send pics .........im workin on it, Paul

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

While they don't say it, the Mercury igniton is a capacitor discharge ignition system. Thus out of habit (from Force ignition systems) I called the switchbox a CD box. Capacitors within the switchbox discharge very rapidly--almost instantaneously-- and build a very high primary current in the coils, thus generating a very high secondary voltage to fire the sparkplug. That is why these ignition systems are used.

The rim magnets charge the switchbox capacitors and the battery by generating two different AC voltages in the stator. That is all they do. The two yellow wires are a source of aboout 16 volts and go to the voltage regulator/rectifier then the battery. They should have very low resistance. The green and white wires are from separate windings within the stator and deliver about 250 volts to the switchbox. I believe they should be up around 700-800 ohms but I could be wrong on that.

Now the trigger, on the other hand does control which coil will get the primary voltage from the switchbox and when it will get it (timing). Since the center magnet is located in reference to the flywheel keyway, the postion of the trigger is critical. Turning the trigger to the right --counterclockwise-- advances the timing on all cylinders. By the way: The center magnet generates a small voltage in the coils of the trigger assembly as it passes each of them. This voltage signals a transistor to "Dump" the capacitors into the correct coil.