yamaha gp 1200 Project Ski .

Jamaics

Recruit
Hey Everyone ,

I'm jamaics I'm new to the world of jetski but i'm a pretty good mechanic so i recently purchase a Gp 1200 thats been sitting a while .I purchased it with the intent of getting it running and putting in the water within the next weeks .It doesnt run now but i was told it only need some carb work i doubt it due to the price i paid for it . Its was 500 bucks the ski looks like a ski which should cost more so i thought it wouldnt hurt to pick it up ,invest a few bucks and hopefully get it running . I'm looking for any help or suggestions in terms specific things to look at first and possible reasons for ir not running right now ,would greatly any help .

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: yamaha gp 1200 Project Ski .

Pull the plugs, put some fogging oil into the cylinders, and see if you can turn the engine over by hand. If not, check to be sure the pump (impeller) is clear. If the pump is clear and you still cannot turn the engine over by hand, you probably have serious engine damage. If you can turn the engine over by hand, with the plugs out, hook up the battery and see if it will turn over with the starter. If it does, do a compression check...........should be 120 psi per cylinder. If so, then you are in good shape. May just need some carb work. If the compression is bad in 1 or more cylinders, you are looking at rebuilding the top end of the engine at a minimum.

ramster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: yamaha gp 1200 Project Ski .

What year? If it has the exhaust with the cat converter....... "only" needs some carb work, that's funny. Enjoy! everyone should do a yamaha triple carb job at least once. Just make sure you get everything perfect the first time, you will not want to repeat the process.