Merc 90 sport jet flywheel magnets

paulchace

Cadet
All the magnets came off when I removed the flywheel, and it is nearly impossible to determine where exactly they go. I understand they all go in the same direction, I'll try to decipher the placement and bead blast it today. The crank keyway is beat up but the keyway in the flywheel seems pretty good. Any advice on which epoxy to reattach the magnets and how best to determine where they go exactly and ............which way do they all point?
Also, the bottom cylinder is at 70 psi top and middle are good at 125 and 135 psi, so there is more to it
loctite 660 for the key and keyway???? Yes?
Thank you in advance of your generous advice. Paul

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Merc 90 sport jet flywheel magnets

I had the same problem but with one magnet, i used jb weld and epoxied it back. Mine had kind of a black paint on the bottom of the magnet so it was easy to know the way it was seating if any of them is broken you will need a new flywheel. Just make sure they are evenly spaced with the same amount of gap between them, I only run mine for 10 minutes so I cant say how well jb weld holds up but other people reported good results.

Because of that magnet i got the boat for $400 :)

venxxxxx

Seaman
Re: Merc 90 sport jet flywheel magnets

you just try to space them out evenly...thats how they line up in the first place. There are 6 magnets if i remember correctly. Dont do 5 or less... JB weld works like a charm. Its a permanent weld. I tried to break it off one time by soaking it overnight in acetone..didnt even budge.