Should I get a couple wave runners?

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking at expanding my watersports experience by buying a couple used wave runners. I'm kinda new to that side of boating. I have ownership in a houseboat at Lake Powell in Utah and the kids would like to get some waverunners to use there. Side note, Lake Powell is one of the prettiest places on earth (my opinion) Anyway, are there any secrets I should know before buying? I'm not wealthy so I have to look at the used market. Any ideas? Thanks. Mark

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: Should I get a couple wave runners?

Mark, I'm no expert on wave runners, but I would see if you can rent a couple or barrow one for a few days to see if there is a real interest and the kids are comfortable riding them. Lots of people buy them and then they sit. not saying thats your cercumstance but it happens.

Also be careful when buying used, these things, atleast in my area are usually not maintained well. Fine a privious owner that kept them garage kept and clean/maintenance. There out there. good luck.

Ohh, and if you do buy , get two for sure, because they get very boring quik with just one. Having a houseboat as homebase is a good thing. reemember you will need a jet dock or a place to store them to.

The Rooster

Ensign

I say go for it "Carrot". The houseboat is a perfect base for pwc's. Since this won't be your personal ride, ie, multiple riders, I'd stay away from the really high performance ski's. I'd also stick w/ the big three manufacturers still in business; Yamaha, SeaDoo, Kawasaki. You didn't mention a budjet, but for about $3500- $5000 you should be able to find a more modern 4-stroke ski, naturally aspirated from about 110-170 hp. that should fit the bill w/ minimum maint. involved, but if you're handy, 2-stroke skis can be found for cheaper. The hulls on the 3-seaters are a bit more stable, but thats personal preference. I'm sure the resident experts will be here shortly to add their .02. Good luck !!!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I've owned PWC's since 1985, and have had Kawasaki, Sea Doo and Yamaha PWC's. Let me tell you the truth!

PWC's are perfect to have with a houseboat, and your family will use them all day long, every day you're on the lake. They're also very handy to go back and forth to your car so you can resupply your food, drink, etc.

I still have a 1990 Sea Doo 2 seater (2 stroke) PWC that's been a fantastic machine. I don't know why it's been such a great bike, other than I have not run it at full throttle it's whole life. Two stroke PWC's will never have the lifespan of a 4 stroke machine.

That said, I have switched over to the best selling, most reasonably priced PWC on the market--the three seat Yamaha Waverunner VX Cruiser. The VX's now cost between $7700 and $8,900 at my local dealer. My VX has a top speed of 54 mph, and it gets a little over 10 mpg at 30 mph--a standard fast cruise. From what I can tell, Yamaha's are the best selling fleet rental PWCs because they cause fewer problems than any PWC on the market.

Put a 16 year old kid on a 250 hp 70 mph PWC is a prescription to the hospital. They're very dangerous at 35 mph--and a death machine @ 70 mph.

You should look for a pair of Yamaha VX's--4 stroke machines. If you have the chance to buy a 2 stroke machine of any brand, don't do it. The 4 strokes are just as fast, more efficient on fuel, very long lasting and very durable.

I spent the morning in front of our lake house teaching my 4 year old grandson how to steer straight and use the throttle smoothly. He's just like his mamma--growing up as a Lake Kid. It's unfortunate that Lake Kids are not able to run a boat by themself until 14 years old and they must obtain a boat drivers' license. There again, we want them to grow up to be responsible boaters and adults.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for your interest. I have had some experience with waverunners - my brothers both own them. I've learned a thing or two since posting this message. I've discovered that at Lake Powell and Lake Mead (I believe) as well, beginning in 2013 2 stroke wave runners will be banned. I was very glad to discover this before purchasing a couple of those. So my market has narrowed and I've discovered that most of the wave runners available are of the 2 stroke variety. There is some confusion in the wording of the law so I called Glen Canyon National Recreation Area for clarification. The word from them was "4 strokes only"

On the safety issue, my youngest child is 28 but I do have a 6 year old grandson. He'll have to wait but he'll get good training. I know what a lot of boaters think of waverunners and I'm determined that they won't have any reason to think that of our party.

The search continues with an expanded budget. Aw well, it's only money.

Thanks again for your help.