Sport Jet 120 Problems

ranman6

Seaman Apprentice
Everytime I hook up a hose to my engine I get water comming out of my bottom cylinders.

I've used the adapter and no pressure but it always seems to happen. Then I take it out to the lake and it starts fine after I change the plugs, the only thing I notice is that it doesn't have the power it use to have.

I'm wondering if I have blown a gasket probably the exaust and that is why I am getting water in the cylinders, any thought on these?

My question is how do I confirm this, and which gasket should I check first if that is the case.

Thanks for any input.

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Sport Jet 120 Problems

Compression test should tell you if something is wrong.

I know the clearances on the water jackets are tight! Any sand/gravel that gets sucked in will get stuck.

I recommend pulling the head and replacing the head gasket every season if there is any chance you've run in shallow water (especially in the fall when there are leaves in the water...they catch on the sand/gravel and reduce flow even more). With that said, I'd lean more towards the exhaust manifold. Any water restriction (sand/gravel/leaves) may cause the gasket to scortch/burn. I've had that happen and there was water spraying on my starter whenever I was running at speed (It could easily leak inward). Head gasket is around $50. Cheap price to pay to prevent serious overheat damage. Not sure on the $$ on the exhaust gasket...

ranman6

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advise.

I've checked the compression, and everything looked good.

Is it possible that I am only running on 3 out of the 4 cylinders?

The other question is there a better exhaust gasket? The only one I can find is a paper one, I think a copper one would be a better fit for an exhaust.

Thanks for any input.

ranman6

Seaman Apprentice

Anybody else have any ideas on this?

Any help would be appreciated.

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure what "compression is good" means. Can you post up numbers?

Sure, it could be running on 3 cylinders, but what are the symptoms? "Doesn't have the power it used to have"...Does it sound like it's missing? Does the engine run smooth? Does it 'bog out' when you throttle it? Does it sound like the engine/jet is 'slipping'? Does the engine loose power after a short time? Some other symptom?

Even running on 3 cylinders you shouldn't be getting water in the 4th.

Back to the basics: 3 things needed:
Compression
Fuel
Spark

Verify you have all 3 on all cylinders.

Anders67

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anybody else have any ideas on this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi. Just restored a 120XR. And boy. Tell me of a engine that can make trouble.

I had the same problem on mine. When put on a house tro cool, i get whater comming out of lowest cyl. if sparkplug out. Ore it would not crank
with sparkplug in.

In mine case i changed the head gasket first, and there can be a problem if its leaking betveen the waterchannels and cylinder.

But i think it was the gasket on the manifold/exhaust that was the problem. So check there. Othervise if not, there can be a crack in the engine somewhere.

Mine was going on 2-3-4 cylinders sometimes, makeing me go nuts.

On mine it was:

Ground comming from the CDMcoils to the engine, was two connections to the engine screw. I solderd two new ones on. There are two types of ingnition systems on these one. Earlier and later. I have the later one with 4 CDM coils.

Becaurse it?s just 1-3 volts from trigger, there will be problems very easy if it?s not full power.

Two CDI coils was bad, changed that and spark plugs. This can be hard to tell and find out.

Check fuel pump on flow and pressure, ore you can seeaze the engine, becaurse of lack of fuel ore oil, becaurse oil is comming with fuel trough fuel pump.

Check caburators , so they not filled with dirt from bad fuel. On mine there was a flake of dirt, before the inlet to the needle valve. That shut closed wen reved up the engine.

Ceck timing, and stator of output.

Regards from Sweden