Bent Ride Plate/Repair

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can a bend ride plate be straightend? Also if it is sticking out past the bottom of the hull will it cause a problem with thrust when you are running the boat? Sorry to post here can't seem to find out how to post a new thread.
Posting to new thread

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bent Ride Plate/Repair

Any raised surface will effect performance! You will notice as 'cavitation' - sounds like it's slipping/spinning.

Most of the time they can be fixxed. Take small steps to straighten. Remove plate, remove grate from plate. I use several wood blocks - mutliple to set the plate on and one to use for dead blows. Hold the plate up to the bottom of the boat and see/chalk where it needs to be bent. Place on wood blocks (wood block on each side of area to be flatened/bent), place a block on top to strike, tap with hammer. Check for fit, repeat as necessary. Move plate in small increments on blocks so as to use a 'gentle' bend/flattening. Takes a while but is worth it.

Also noticed foam hanging out right side behind pump. Does the pump need to be pulled to reinstall this?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

What model ski? Generally SeaDoo ride plates cannot be repaired since they are part of the cooling system and have internal passages for the coolant which would be compromised. On other model skis, it might be possible..........a photo would help. Foam sticking out, sounds like you are looking at a major hull repair. Yes you would most likely have to completely remove the pump to repair it properly.

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking from the rear of the pump itself, there is foam on the right and left side. Just looked at mine and some at the top is sticking out on one side and some on the bottom on the other...never worried about it. Didn't effect performance.

One more thing on the ride plate. When you reinstall for the final time have a spray bottle with soapy water for working the seal/gasket in. I also added a small bead of silicon caulk around mating surfaces.