Need imput on boat

troop009

Recruit
I AM ABOUT TO PURCHASE MY FIRST BOAT TOMORROW HAVE VERY LITTLE BOATING EXPERIENCE, THE BOAT I AM LOOKING AT IS A 2004 YAMAHA AR210. IT HAS NO HOUR METER ON IT BUT THE OWNER SAID THE LEFT ENGINE WAS REBUILT LAST YEAR THE BOAT LOOKS GOOD AND UPHOLSTERY IS IS GOOD CONDITION. IT DOES HAVE SPIDER CRACKS IN ONE SECTION NEAR THE FRONT OF THE FIBERGLASS AND THE OWNER SAYS IT IS NO ISSUE. HE IS ASKING 10000 FOR THE BOAT. CAN ANYONE HELP ME IS THIS A FAIR PRICE AND IS THE YAMAHA JET ENGINE A RELIABLE ENGINE ANY ADVICE IS TRULY APPRECIATED HERE IS A LINK TO THE BOAT http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/2947595708.html

THANK YOU

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need imput on boat

I have owned six boats. One of which was an outboard jet. I have also owned seven PWC's, two of which I still own and ride today.

I can say that Yamaha engines are very reliable as long as they have the general maintenance performed since I ride a 1997 GP1200 triple cylinder and I get really good advice from my Yamaha/Seadoo dealer. They also vouch for the Yamahas over the Seadoos.

As far as Yamaha boats, not sure about the integrity or quality of the hulls, electronics, etc. since I'm more familiar with fish-n-skis or bass boats. I do know that most "spidering" of fiberglass is due to stress like from hitting waves very hard, but usually they appear around the transom or right behind the helm or seating area midway down the boat. Being on the nose of the boat tells me that they have probably hit something like a dock while trying to moore it. Take a close look at that area and if you can get access to the inside of the hull/cap area of the boat - DO IT. Just so you can see if the damage is more prevalent on the inside of the fiberglass. Sometimes the damage looks minimal on the outside, but can be major looking at it from the inside.

As far as price goes, thats a preference call in my book. If you feel comfortable with your inspection and the sellers comments, then the rest is up to you on how you feel about the price.

Good luck on your purchase!

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need imput on boat

I don't own a Yamaha jet boat, but I am very familiar with the engines they use in them, since they are basically the same engines used in their waverunners. The 2004 used a 3 cylinder 2 stroke engine. What worries me about the boat you are looking at is that 1 engine has already been rebuild. Most likely the 2nd engine will not be far behind. Add a couple of thousand to the price for what that will cost you.

If you want a jet boat, I would HIGHLY recommend looking for a later model with the 4 stroke engines. I believe they started using them in 2005. The MR-1 4 stroke engines were just about bullet proof, and will give you 5X or more hours than the older 2 stroke engines. Plus no 2 stroke oil to worry about, no stink, quieter, more fuel efficient even with more HP.