96 seadoo gti

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok guys trying to figure out if i got a good deal or not. I purchased a 96 seedoo gti yesterday for $600. It would turn over but not enough juice to start. I thought well maybe the battery is bad so i put the jumpers on it and still not enough. Thinking its the starter (ordered a new one yesterday for $55 should be in sometime this week) I pulled it off to bench test it. the outside housing is basically toast (some rust and what not) bench tested fine but not turning as fast as i would think is needed to start the ski. Anyway here is a picture of the ski and trailer. Also this is my first jet ski is there anything i should check before i attempt to put it in the water (after i get it running of course)?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 96 seadoo gti

Ok guys trying to figure out if i got a good deal or not. I purchased a 96 seedoo gti yesterday for $600. It would turn over but not enough juice to start. I thought well maybe the battery is bad so i put the jumpers on it and still not enough. Thinking its the starter (ordered a new one yesterday for $55 should be in sometime this week) I pulled it off to bench test it. the outside housing is basically toast (some rust and what not) bench tested fine but not turning as fast as i would think is needed to start the ski. Anyway here is a picture of the ski and trailer. Also this is my first jet ski is there anything i should check before i attempt to put it in the water (after i get it running of course)?

IMO a non-running ski is worth the value of the hull and the trailer it sits on and no more. So if you can get $600 for the hull and the trailer you will break even in the worst case scenario. It can easily cost more to fix a non-running ski than the cost you would have paid for a nice running ski of the exact same model.

Once.........or maybe I should say..........if you get it started, get rid of the old fuel, check fuel and oil lines for brittleness, do a compression check, make sure the carbs. are in good shape, clean or replace the plugs, check/replace the pump oil, cooling system, etc..

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok the oil pump ... how do i check that and im guessing it is cooled by raw water and i wont be able to check either of these till the thing gets started. Carbs were just rebuilt last year and look decent. I will get old fuel out this evening to go ahead and just get that out of the way. Anyone have a pdf version of the maintenance/repair manual for this ski?

*Im optimistic and figure i can get it started lol :D but only time and parts will tell.

Hopefully it will just be the starter.

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

further down in forum i posted a bit titled "manuals, want one" check in there for a service guide. Assume the ski has never been serviced and follow the service guide and service all parts of the ski, by the time your done you should have good idea of its condition. Hopefully it will run.

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I hope it runs also lol I guess we will see when the new starter comes in. Im crossing my fingers. Thanks for the manuals They will help alot considering This is my first ski. Just seems like there isnt much more to these rotax 2 strokes. basically the same as dirt bike motors (corect me if im wrong).

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok guys so it took me some time to get time to work on this thing. I have rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump and replaced them. All new fuel lines (clear blue ones). New starter is on. So now I am having a fuel delivery issue. I believe the problem is either at the selector nob or filter but im just not sure. I want to just bypass them for now to make sure everything else is good to go before I waste any extra time. Can I just take the on line and out line off the selector and block off the reserve line or should that be oposite?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

What to do,get an outboard tank and hose.
Use it to make sure the motors running.
Do a compression test FIRST!!!!

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Compression is good. I went ahead and bypassed the fuel selector nob (for now) and the filter (missing o ring) and it runs great now. Well after adjusting the carbs for like 2hr making sure they were properly synced. So I took it out Sunday evening to see how it would do on the water and it really surprised me. Runs like a bat out of hell. But about 10 min into the ride "Snap" no more stearing. The cable broke right at the end near the front of the ski. I am currently looking for a new cable then I should be back on the water again.