Need help with Seadoo 96 gti bogging down

SALEEN

Cadet
I bought two used pwc this past week. One runs great but I am having issues with the 96 GTI. It has good compression. It starts right up and idles fine. I ran it out on the water for a couple hours. It never died on me. The issue is when I am pressing on the throttle it bogs down real bad and won't go. It's not in any specific throttle position. Sometimes it will run fine for a but and get up to good speed but then bogs down. It's like it is starving for fuel. The spark plugs look bad( I will put new ones in) but I don't think that would cause the issue. I did research online and sounds like many have this same issue. However I seen many solutions given and most the time I don't see the poster come back and say what fixed the issue. I don't want to go on a wild goose chase and start changing everything. Can someone please respond that has had this issue and what the solution was. Thanks!

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need help with Seadoo 96 gti bogging down

Start with the simple stuff:
- check the fuel system for leaks, make sure all connections are air-tight
- remove any old gas/ replace with fresh
- clean the fuel filter (should be a plastic screen inside the housing)
- clean the fuel filter AGAIN
- make sure the throttle cable is secured

If you've got those covered, my guess would be that it's time for a carb rebuild.
Keep us posted.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

More than likely it's carburetion. Either use the service manual to rebuild the carb (setting them properly is the issue) or have a professional do it. I'm pretty good with most automotive items, but I had a Power sports shop rebuild and sync the 2 carbs on my 96 Seadoo and it was like a brand new maching afterward. Syncing the flow of the 2 carbs is the biggest issue.

My bill for rebuild and labor (with water test) was in the neighborhood of $200.

ksukats57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like a classic case of the grey "tempo" fuel lines deteriorating and clogging up the little fuel filters inside your carbs. The fuel lines used on 90's seadoos are notorious for this

Edit- is this the ski in the post from awhile ago that needed an engine?

SALEEN

Cadet

I did ask a question about this ski in a previous post. It doesn't need an engine. Starts and runs well. Has compression of 145 and 150. What it did need was a new tuner pipe and the engine bolted better to the part that holds the engine. The tuned pipe has a small hole at one of the 4 welded circles (plugs) which seems to be a common issue. I found solutions of just doing temporary fix of jb weld. I also found exact used pipe on eBay for $75 (costs like $650 new). I got the ski and trailer for $500 knowing those two issues needed to be addressed. Unfortunately this bogging issue was a surprise...

ksukats57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

HTML:
I did ask a question about this ski in a previous post. It doesn't need an engine. Starts and runs well. Has compression of 145 and 150. What it did need was a new tuner pipe and the engine bolted better to the part that holds the engine. The tuned pipe has a small hole at one of the 4 welded circles (plugs) which seems to be a common issue. I found solutions of just doing temporary fix of jb weld. I also found exact used pipe on eBay for $75 (costs like $650 new). I got the ski and trailer for $500 knowing those two issues needed to be addressed. Unfortunately this bogging issue was a surprise...

The tuned pipe has a hole? How about an exhaust leak. They can cause hesitation just like you describe. Try driving the ski with the seat off (you'll look funny but it allows exhaust to vent out) and see if the problem improves. I had a GSX limited with the 951 engine that had a leak in the head pipe that did the same thing.

SALEEN

Cadet

Ok I will try that. I have found a matching pipe on eBay. I will test it with seat off and see if that makes a difference. If it isn't that I assume it is a fuel issue. I found somebody that can tighten the engine back like its so supposed to be, replace those grey fuel lines, and do the carbs for hopefully around $350 for all.

ksukats57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That sounds like a decent price I guess, replacing all the fuel lines is kind of a pain although its not that hard.

Make sure the shop is reputable, you don't want somebody messing with the carb's that doesnt know what they're doing. Carbs are finnicky and hard to get back to where they're supposed to be.

dairyplumber

Recruit

That sounds like a decent price I guess, replacing all the fuel lines is kind of a pain although its not that hard.

Make sure the shop is reputable, you don't want somebody messing with the carb's that doesnt know what they're doing. Carbs are finnicky and hard to get back to where they're supposed to be.

i just got the same ski and does the same thing however its been sitting for a couple years the plus look ok but it bogs down a lil not real bad but the plugs have traces of water on them when i pulled them out is this normal ???

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another trick I use sometimes is try flipping the choke, while giving it throttle on the water, and see if it takes off. Occassionally you can diagnose a carb problem that way.