White Smoke Then No Start Please HELP!!

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My wife and I got our 06 Waverunner out and was going to flush it out, but she went ahead and wanted to hurry the process up and do it herself while I was inside. So she turned the water on for a good 30 senconds before starting the ski. Me not knowing that walked outside and watch the ski do fine then it started smoking (white smoke). No it want even turn the motor over. I'm guessing there is water in the motor now. What do I need to do to fix the problem and get it banc to normal running condition? We were wanting to take it out tomorrow (Sunday) so is there anything I can do to fix this ASAP? Thanks for the help guys!!

David

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: White Smoke Then No Start Please HELP!!

You need to pull all the spark plugs ASAP and crank the motor over to blow as much water out of the engine as possible. If you hold down the stop button while pressing the start button it will retard the spark and fuel flow while you crank it to blow out the water. Then reinstall the plugs and start the engine (hopefully). If you get it started I'd run it on the hose for a while, then best to get it to the water and ride the hell out of it to get as much water out of the system as possible. Once you get back, I'd fog the engine (if its an FX just spray fogging oil down the 4 intakes and start the engine for 15 seconds dry (not on hose), if it is a VX you remove the hose from the air intake and spray fogging oil into the throttle body and then reconnect the hose and start for 15 seconds dry). Try to ride the ski as much and again as soon as possible.

If you pull the plugs and it won't turn over, I'd guess you are pretty much screwed........you've bent something etc.. I'd spray fogging oil down the plug holes to try and contain the damage, and get it to a dealer ASAP. The engine will have to probably have to come out.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

And empty the crankcase. If the exhaust valve was open, water entered the crankcase and you're hydrolocked.

Ski on
Water on
water off
Ski off

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ernest T... Thanks so much for the step by step help... This morning I took all 4 spark plugs out and when I hit the start button misty water would fly out of the spark plug hole closet to the front of the ski. I did that serverl times and dried the plugs and put them back in and after a few time trying it finaly started. It was still spitting out white smoke no sure whats causing that? any Ideas?

I also check the oil and the compartment was FULL so I know there is water in the fuel so I will have to drain the oil would that cause the smokeing?

I notice there is also oil in the bottom of the whole does that mean I have a big hole somewhere?

Fireman431- Im not to sure where the crankcase is will it be hard to get to and empyt?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

You will need to change the oil multiple times to get rid of all the water.......until you see no milky looking oil. It may take 4-6 oil changes. Unfortunately, there is no way to drain the crankcase on a Yamaha 4 stroke without removing the engine. The only way is to do the oil changes. The engine holds over 4 quarts of oil, but you can only extract maybe 2.5 quarts. That is why it will take multiple changes to get the water out. That is also why you still see the smoke. You want to run it after each oil change. Be sure to only put back as much oil as you take out to not overfill it.

A little oil in the bottom of the hull is not unusual, since some spills when you change the filter, but if the hull is filling up with oil, you probably have a hole in the case, and will be looking at a major repair.

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would running water to the ski before starting it cause a hole is the case? Because Im pretty sure there wasn't a hole last season, so Im hoping its just oil from spilling it.... When you say run it after each oil change you mean on the hose or out of the lake?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would running water to the ski before starting it cause a hole is the case?
Yea if you hydrolocked the engine and a rod came through the case it could definitly be the cause of a hole. Its just unlikely that the ski would be running if you did this...........at least it would be running very poorly.

Because Im pretty sure there wasn't a hole last season, so Im hoping its just oil from spilling it....
Engines definitly don't work well with a hole in the crank case, so I'm sure there wasn't one there before.

When you say run it after each oil change you mean on the hose or out of the lake?
Just run it on the hose. The engine has to be hot to change the oil properly, otherwise you won't be able to get much out.

Take off the cover to the air box and remove the air filter and see if that area is full of oil/water. I'm guessing that the oil/water may have backed up into the air box then leaked out from there. If there is any oil on the air filter you will need a new one, but just leave it out for now. It won't hurt to run the engine without it for a while. Is your ski an FX or a VX? With either of these models you should only check the oil level when the engine is hot.....never cold. I'm guessing the addition of the water raised the oil level, which then backed up into the air box, then leaked out from there into the bottom of the hull. This would be much better reason for the excess oil than a piston rod blowing through the side of the crank case.

Clean up as much of the oil on the bottom of the ski as you can. Run the engine without the air filter and see if oil is backing up into the air box. If it is suck out as much oil as possible for the next oil change, but put back in 1 quart less than what you took out. Keep changing the oil until no milky color. On the last change you need to change the oil filter. You want to shoot for an oil level that shows 1/2 way between the low and full mark on the dipstick when the engine is HOT. NEVER CHECK THE Oil level on this model ski with the engine cold (I'm assuming you have a VX or FX).

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

The crankcase is the main body of the engine where the rotating assembly of the pistons, crankshaft, connecting rods, etc are. Another reason for oil in the bilge may be because of the water. If you got water in the crankcase (it's heavier than oil), it will cause the oil to float on top of the water and it will drain out of the carbs if any of the intake valves are in the open position, or out any breather tubes.

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its a VX Sport... Thanks so mush so for the steps my cousin and I or going to attempt to change the oil sometime this week... I will let yall know how it comes out... Thanks again

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Its a VX Sport... Thanks so mush so for the steps my cousin and I or going to attempt to change the oil sometime this week... I will let yall know how it comes out... Thanks again

Sometime? You want to get the water out of the inside of your engine yesterday, not tomorrow!

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm kinda scrared doing it myself of messing something up haha... Do any of you guys know of forum that will have a step by step process on how to change the oil and where everything is located under the seat?.... Sorry for my inexperienc :(

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I Agree with JimS123. This is not a great time to be learning how to change the oil on this ski. Water in the engine is NOT something you want to leave to the end of the week. Every day that water stays in there more irreversible damage is being done. If you don't know what you are doing, I'd get the ski to a dealer ASAP and let them get to work on it, it could actually save you money in the long run.

If you still want to try it yourself here is a guide for the oil removal:

Changing the oil on Yamaha FX and VX skis:

The oil should be at or near operating temp for the change. It takes a bit longer to warm up than most think. 15 minutes on the hose is about the minimum, even Yamaha recommends 11 minutes or more if the ambient temp is below 68 deg F.

I use a cut down ice-cream container to go under the filter to catch the oil when removing it. I then slide it forward and up near motor fuel line entry to remove it. Another option is to put a plastic bag over the filter once it is loose then turn the filter off and let it drop into the bag to catch excess oil. Another way is to put old rags under the area to catch spilled oil. The replacement Yamaha filter is #5GH-13440-00-00. I like the K&N filters, because they are easier to remove. The correct K&N filter for the VX is KN 303.

I use a torque wrench with a filter socket attached to do the filter up (12 ft lbs) smear a slight film of oil over the O ring on the filter.

When sucking the oil out of the oil tank have the craft level. There is a baffle plate in the bottom of the oil tank that has a small louver in it (two of) my vacuum bottle tube passes through this to the tanks real bottom. Try to pass the tube through if you can ... BE CAREFUL THOUGH ... the louver has a sharp angled edge facing down. If the tube is forced through it will catch on the sharp edge and be hard to get back out. Pic below of oil tank inside ....

If the tube doesn't pass through the louver (number 1 in pic) ,might be safer to do this anyway, use the round hole area in pic (number 2 in pic) above the oil tank filter screen to suck oil from ....

Try to get 2.5 quarts out in the vacuum bottle. Yamalube 10W-30 is the recommended dino oil to use. If you want to use synthetic then go with 10W-40. I recommend an FC-W certified synthetic like Amsoil Marine.

Replace what you get out by volume or weight and warm engine up again on hose to check level. I like to run the level half way between the add and full marks on the dipstick. The oil level on the VX or FX skis must be checked with the engine HOT, never cold. A very common mistake on these engines is to check the oil level cold and then add oil. When the engine warms up excess oil will overflow into the air box, fouls the air filter, and spark plugs, and make the engine run like crap.

Oil Tank Yamaha FX.jpg

Attachments

• Yamaha VX Oil Tank_0000.jpg
    Yamaha VX Oil Tank_0000.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 0

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Really good directions... I'm going to try my best to do it my self... Couple of questions... First should I run it on the hose even tho its blowing out white smoke? Can i get the filter at my local walmart or parts house or something I have to order? What tool or you useing to suck out the oil? and im not sure what you or doing with the louver? and I got Quicksilver 25W 40 oil from walmart is that okay?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Really good directions... I'm going to try my best to do it my self... Couple of questions... First should I run it on the hose even tho its blowing out white smoke? Can i get the filter at my local walmart or parts house or something I have to order? What tool or you useing to suck out the oil? and im not sure what you or doing with the louver? and I got Quicksilver 25W 40 oil from walmart is that okay?

The oil change directions are in your Yami owners manual. If you bought used and don't have one download one off the site or e-mail them for a pdf copy.

Yeah you run it on the hose cause you need to get the oil hot.

The oil filter is only from a Yami dealer. Quicksilver 25w40 is for a Mercruiser Inboard/outboard, not a Yamaha jet. But no matter, go ahead and use it for the first 4 oil changes - just be sure to use Yami oil when you finish. In fact use 25 cent a quart pee oil the first 4 times.....you just need petroleum to get the water out.

Remember oil floats (i.e., water settles), thats why you need to do it so many times since you can't drain from the bottom.

There are a number of hand operated oil pumps out there - the Tempo is the best. Here is an example of a competitive model:

http://www.iboats.com/PWC-Oil-Extractor/dm/*******.444091285--session_id.794874108--view_id.695454

If a Tempo isn't available at a marine store near you, buy whatever they have and live with it. Ordinarily I would say buy from IBoats, but you don't have time for mail order. Your motor may already be toast! Remember my last post -- I said "yesterday"!

I speak from experience. My son did the same thing with a used ski he bought. He didn't tell me about it for a week. The cost of the new engine was more than he paid for it, so we ended up selling it for parts.

Internal engine parts rust when in contact with water!

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 on everything Jim covered. I use the exact same extractor. All you are trying to do is get the extractor tip through the small slots at the bottom of the oil tank, so you can get as much oil out as possible. Don't even worry about it right now, just suck out as much oil as you can each change. The extractor that Jim recommended has the perfect sized tip to get to the bottom of the tank through the small openings. Wally World will not have the filter. If you have a boating store, or marine store somewhere nearby they may have the Yamaha filter, but you will probably have to order it.............wouldn't worry about it right now. Your goal is to get the water out of the engine ASAP.

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

UPDATE***

I called the local dealer and after they told me its 125.00 an hour with a 3 hour min. I deceide to take it own by myself haha... I changed the fuel filter and sucked out all the oil. I put 2 quarts of oil back in and ran it on the hose for about 5 minutes and checked the oil and added another quart and a half ran it again and check and I got it right at the Full mark which might be a little to much but I think I will be okay... Its not doing the white smke anymore so maybe just maybe there wasn't any water in the engine at all.... Thanks for all the help guys...