Muffler Removal

borntohunt1993

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Im trying to replace the starter on a 1998 Kawasaki 1100 ZXI, to access the starter I have to remove the exhaust manifold and muffler. I've loosened all the bolts on both pieces but I don't see how to get either of them out due to clearence. I can't slide the exhaust manifold off the bolts all the way because it hits the muffler and if I try to push it on all the way and pick up the muffler to bring it out it hits the manifold. (I think Kawasaki did this on purpose so you would bring it back to them) I've thought about trying to slide the gas and oil tank forward to see if I can slide the muffler in there why I remove the exhaust manifold, any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a link to a website that has a view of what I'm trying to remove http://www.powersportsplus.com/part...1998/JH1100-A3+1100+ZXi/MUFFLER(S)/parts.html

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Muffler Removal

I wish I could help you. But it has been quite a while since I did mine. While you are in there, you may want to remove the trim control cover and check for water in it. Now if the trim doesnt work than dont worry about it. Both of mine had water in them. The oring that fits into the cover was not installed properly when they made them. Also look for water in the flywheel housing they are known to leak also. And look into aftermarket sponsons for it, if yours are stock. These are notorious for porpoising. And check into a primer instead of the choke system.They can be awful hard to start. I have had ours since new, the starter gear is all I have ever replaced.