Need your alls help again.....

mellojc1993

Cadet

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need your alls help again.....

Hard for me to say - but I'll say this: I run two 97 model skis. A SeaDoo GTX with a 787 twin three seater and ten feet long and a Yamaha GP1200 triple two seater and 8-1/2 feet long. The GP1200 barely outruns the SeaDoo!!! And they both run great! If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the SeaDoo. BTW - are these 4-stroke skis or 2-stroke???

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can't advise you on the SeaDoo, but the Yamaha XL seems over priced, plus 160 hours on that engine is sort of high. The Yamaha skis with the 800'engine are fun, but IMO that was Yamahas worst motor. Power valve problems, etc.. Of those 2 choices, I'd look at the SeaDoo.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Both are overpriced. The "better" one will be the one that has not been "ridden hard and put away wet", and has been serviced by the book. Since we don't know about that, its a crap-shoot. Both are old boats so you'll be taking your chances.

The Yami will run great, last long and not have maintenance issues. But it'll be boring, a little tippy for an inexperienced rider, and it'll be iffy with 3 passengers. The trailer is marginally crappy.

The Doo will be more fun, but it'll nickel and dime you to death. Its a good ride, but its still an old 2-stroke so expect to be fixin her up soon.

Ride 'em before you chose - if either has been in salt water that's a deal breaker.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Yup- take 'em both for a test ride and make your decision. Each will feel different.
They've both got potential but only YOU can gauge the 'fun factor' with 'em.
Good luck!