1996 Seadoo GTI jetski question

SALEEN

Cadet
I am still hunting for that used ski...found one in great condition but he sold it to somebody else right before he was supposed to take me to lake to test run it. So I found one on Craigslist today which is a 96 Seadoo GTI with trailer for $500. The reason he is selling it cheap is because when he took it in to a shop to have it winterized after riding it last summer they recommended two expensive repairs. I could tell this guy was very honest. He was reading the quoted repairs right off the page from service shop. He said he ran the ski all summer and didn't have an issues. The first thing was they said there was a little play in the engine(meaning it could be moved slightly and needed to be resecured. The second thing was they said the header pipe (tuning pipe I think I have seen it called) needed to be replaced. I forget the exact reason but it was something about maybe it had leak or whatever and the previous owner repaired it himself but the repair shop said wasn't done the correct way. The guy that is selling this doesn't know anything about jetskis. He took it to shop to be winterized and didn't know what to do next before putting it back in water. They quoted him $1,100 to fix those two suggested items and why he is selling for only $500. He paid $1,200 for ski a year ago. So my question is should I be worried about those suggested repairs? I know when I have taken my car for little things I always get a list of expensive "recommended" repairs which I have always ignored and car runs fine for years and years. Do these things sound serious? It seems with a trailer and ski for $500 I wouldn't have a lot to lose. I see trailers selling for $200-$300 and I see people asking for $1,000-$1,500 for these skis saying they don't even run! Please give me some of your experienced advice before I potentially waste a little money! Thanks again for your help!

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: 1996 Seadoo GTI jetski question

Depends - can you operate a wrench?
If yes then it is a good deal if you trust that those are the only issues.
If no, then make sure you double check the repair prices with your local mechanic