Please help a rookie with used jet ski purchase!

SALEEN

Cadet
I have just recently found this site and it looks like we got some knowledgeable people here that might be able to help me. I have just got the sudden urge to buy a couple used jet skis for my family to have a little fun on some lakes. I have never owned a jet ski and don't know the first thing about them. I have found two used matching 95 Kawasaki 750ss with a double trailer for sale. The seller is asking $2,000. He has the titles for both and said they run great. Registration is up to date. So my questions are:

1. Are these decent jet skis? I'm not looking for any superior performance. Just something for my wife and 3 kids 15,16, and 9 to have a little fun on lake with.

2. What would be a fair price to offer without offending the guy? He is asking $2,000 so I would assume he left some negotiating room.

3. What questions should I ask him that would help me know I'm getting good skis? He said they run great (I assume they all will say that). He last had them on the water and end of last summer and ran them a few hours. He said he can start them up and show they start right up. He even said he could take me to lake but it isn't the time of year to get in lake with then. Too cold. I thought it was good that he offered though. Please offer me any advice you can. Assume that I know nothing. Thanks in advance for any input!!!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Please help a rookie with used jet ski purchase!

Buying used Jet skis are no different than buying a used car. Would you buy the car without driving it? Take them to the lake. Only your feet will get wet for a few seconds. If you don't have neoprene booties, get them because if you get a pair of skis, then you'll need them anyway. We Jet ski all year, even in cold water. We just don't screw around too much and fall off :facepalm:

When looking at the skis, make sure he test runs them on the trailer. Check to see how old the batteries are. Plan on a 2-3 year life span of the battery (unhook it when you're done riding for the week...the die quickly because of the computer). When running on the trailer, the RPM will be around 3200-3500...this is normal because there is no drag on the impeller. In the water, it should idle around 1500 RPM. When starting on the trailer, it goes like this:

Engine start
Water on
Water off
Engine off

When on the lake, make sure they warm up and idle smoothly. If they bog down or need to be constantly throttled, they will need carburetor work done. Don't run them in too shallow of water or they will suck up sand.

When riding, they should have quick throttle response and plane out in 2-3 seconds (at most). If they bog down, they need carburetor work.

Find out if they still have the oil injection hooked up or if they deleted it and you have to premix gas/oil. Injection is easier but premix is safer (if the injection pump ever fails). I have never had one fail, but others have.

Ask if the impeller has ever been serviced or replaced. If it rattles and pings when riding slowly, the impeller and wear ring will need to be replaced ($1200).

Check the last tune up, the hours on the engines, ask about top end rebuilds, etc. It's a piece of machinery...don't be afraid if it's been worked on. it's an imperfect world and things break.

If you like the way they look and run, do your homework before hand and find out what they are selling for. $2000 for 2 good running skis and trailer isn't a bad price if they look and run well. You can always offer, let him counter, and go from there.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 to all Fireman431 covered. I would not buy a used 2 stroke ski without a test ride. Running it on the hose will tell you very little. Even crappy 2 stroke engines will run without a load. Put them under load in the water and problems jump out. Plus it is impossible to know if the pump system is sound without a test ride. Other thing it will tell you is how stable the ski is. If you have rented skis recently or ridden later model skis, you may find that modern skis are much more stable than skis 15+ years old. You may find that you don't like the ride, or that is isn't what you expected (too bouncy, too wet, to unstable, etc.).

Only other thing you might want to do is a compression check. The test ride will tell you most everything you need, but a compression check will give you an idea of the health of the top end. You want to see both cylinders within 10% of each other. I don't know specifically about Kaw skis, but for most 2 cylinder motors you want to see 140 to 150 psi compression numbers on a healthy engine. If the numbers are low, or there is a big difference between cylinders, you could be looking at an expensive top end rebuild soon.

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just an add because of what happened to a friend of mine. After its been in the water for 10/15 mins check the engine bay, if the machine is taking in water somewhere you want to know before you take it too far out.

bedwards36426

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey bud I figure I'll throw my couple cents in here as well. I bought a 1999 Kawasaki stx 900 in 2006. Had nothing but problems with it. That doesnt mean you will have those same problems. But....... What I experienced was a bad exhaust intake baffle. Basically a piece of aluminum with different holes to allow air and water to pass keeping them away from each other. Bought the ski it ran fine on the trailer but when we put it in the water upon a load as stated above he comes the trouble. Run hot run hot then run hit again. It was horrible. Put it in the shop finally the third time and about $500 later found out the part I need was obsolete. No one had it not on eBay not a dealer not online not anywhere. It was a $300 part but couldn't put my hands in it. To my dismay the ski was only 7 years old. I couldn't believe it. No parts for a 7 year old ski. This was my first ski purchase. Finally I had a machine shop try and fix it but it never ran right again. Ended up selling the ski to some poor soul. Hope it went ok for him. But like stated above I ran it on the trailer for him and all was good. Listen to these guys they know what they are talking about. Take your time making a decision if time is available. Sometimes time will lose you the sale, but it may be better that way. If you have any doubts dont let the price persuade you to do anything you feel may give you problems or cost you more money. Hope this helps. And hope you find the right ski or skis. Just shop around and do your research.

SALEEN

Cadet

I appreciate the responses! I went and looked at them. The condition of them left a lot to be desired. They obviously weren't garage kept. They engine compartment was clean and they did start right up but I couldn't get over the looks. They had a lot of mold or mildew all over the seats, the little cover under the handle bars, and the body itself. Those pieces could be replaced. What concerned me was the amount of nonprofessional repairs done to one of them. It had a marine grade something(looks like caulking) all over it. Was in at least 15-20 places and a lot on the bottom of the ski which concerned me the most. The trailor needed 2 new tires. He assured me they would run great and offered to set up a date to take to a lake and test them. But I was thinking based on the cosmetic condition of one it was only worth a parts ski even if it ran. If they both ran great I honestly wouldn't mind dumping a $1,000 for both and the trailor just to have a little fun with them. Even with my lack of knowledge I know in that condition they can't be worth the $2,000.

bedwards36426

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just keep lookin man you'll find what's right for you.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Just an add because of what happened to a friend of mine. After its been in the water for 10/15 mins check the engine bay, if the machine is taking in water somewhere you want to know before you take it too far out.

This is good advice, but the issue is when it sits idle in the water. Most skis have venturi pick up tubes that remove all water when moving. Very simple idea and work fantastic. Park the ski near a dock or beach and let it float for 10-20 min. Check in the bilge. It should be bone dry.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Have to agree with everything said so far. I'd add that you might want to check this site out as well. (it's entirely devoted to jet skis)

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/