Freshwater PWC in Saltwater???

HPD321

Cadet
Is it a BAD idea to take my freshwater PWC to a week-long saltwater getaway or is it "ok" provided I do certain stuff before or after the trip???

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Freshwater PWC in Saltwater???

flush it out and wash when done .all will be fine.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

There is no such thing as a "salt-water" or "fresh water" boat. Just clean it and flush it.

JJGP1200

Cadet

Just like everyone else is saying, clean it and flush it. I would spray the motor with Fluid Film before hand also so the salt washes right off and everything is well lubricated.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay. I think that you got the fact that you're going to have to flush it and wash it very well after you're done. I'd do it daily.

Now lets talk about your trailer. Is yours galvanized steel or aluminum? If so, no worries. Just rinse/wash it well.

If it's painted steel, then that's another story. Especially if it's a round tube or boxed steel tube trailer where you won't be able to rinse the saltwater out of the tubing.

Years ago when I bought my 1994 Yamaha WaveRaider brand new, it was a freshwater ski and it came on a painted, boxed steel tube trailer. When I move to Florida, I used the ski in saltwater and tried to rinse that trailer as well as I could. There was no way that I could rinse out the tubing and the trailer started rusting from the inside out.

If you had a freshwater pond or lake that you could back the trailer into after the saltwater, that may clean out the tubing good enough.

Here are couple of pics of what my trailer looked like the day I got rid of it:

Jetskitrailer2.jpg

Jetskitrailer1.jpg

HPD321

Cadet

Great information all and thankfully my trailer is aluminum:)