Sport jet 90 overheat?

bedwards36426

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok so I'm still learning the ropes with this boat I've recently purchased. 94 Sea Rayder Sprt Jet 90. Got it where it will start cold with just the turn of a key. Got all the recirculation lines cleaned check valves and all where they will stay on. So off to the lake. I backed the boat in and left on the trailer to run it. Started right up only rev up to warm up a few seconds then let idle for about 20 mins. Just siting back monitoring those fuel lines and temp with a infrared temp gun from work. Temp stayed about 140 degrees the whole time. After about 20 mins of idle the motor hiccuped once then about a min later the overheat alarm sounded so I shut off checked temp and it was 200 degrees. This happened all in about a min. Was running 140 before all this happened. Any explaintion as to why this could have happened. I'm still nervous to take it out. So that's why I left on the trailer. Could I have let it idle to long. Maye the thermostat stuck? Any ideas? Thanks for all the help I've been given to this point.

bedwards36426

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Sport jet 90 overheat?

Changed the thermostat on the motor. Been tryin to go float it for the first time but it's rained every weekend for the past 3 weeks. Gonna try to make it sat but rain is forecast again all weekend. I'm really gun shy about a boat or PWC that I have not much time under. Had a kawasaki sx ski once very time I took it out it ran hot. What a pain that was. So any more tips as to why my motor could have tan hot all of a sudden after 30 mins of idle? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I hope to get all these Little things worked out so it will be a reliable little boat for me and my family. Paid 1800 for the boat and got about $600 more on it. Anyways thanks for any help.

jayson115

Cadet
Re: Sport jet 90 overheat?

Changed the thermostat on the motor. Been tryin to go float it for the first time but it's rained every weekend for the past 3 weeks. Gonna try to make it sat but rain is forecast again all weekend. I'm really gun shy about a boat or PWC that I have not much time under. Had a kawasaki sx ski once very time I took it out it ran hot. What a pain that was. So any more tips as to why my motor could have tan hot all of a sudden after 30 mins of idle? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I hope to get all these Little things worked out so it will be a reliable little boat for me and my family. Paid 1800 for the boat and got about $600 more on it. Anyways thanks for any help.

hey man just curious if you figured out what was making her over heat gopt mine in the water now and shes overheating quite fast under throttle thanks