90 waverunner LX 650 has the starter gone bad?

Matt95008

Cadet
Hey everybody bare with me im new here. I just got a 1990 Yamaha Waverunner LX 650. It has a new battery and solenoid and ran good for a few minutes. Now the solneoid just clicks when i try to start it. Is the starter gone bad? And where the heck is the starter? any help would be great. THANKS!

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 90 waverunner LX 650 has the starter gone bad?

Jump the solenoid to be sure it's not the problem first (2 large leads). If the starter spins, but the ski won't start, then you probably have a bad bendix. If the starter will not spin (you hear no noise) its probably a bad starter. I don't have a service manual for that ski, but the starter motor is usually tucked up underneath the exhaust on other skis, and you often have to remove the exhaust to get to them. They are usually easy to replace once you find it.

Matt95008

Cadet
Re: 90 waverunner LX 650 has the starter gone bad?

Just FYI i pulled the starter out of the motor but i couldnt get it completly out due to the cluster of stuff around it so ifigured i would have to pull the motor to get it out. so i put the starter back in the motor and decided to try to start it again and it now trys to turn over :)