jet boat project with pics

Scubaproh20

Seaman
I am building a jet boat out of my 14' boat and am using a yamaha jet pump, still gotta decide what motor to use but this i know I needa complete motor pipes carbs mounting plate etc. I want 100hp minimum so far im looking at sea doo 787 and yamaha 800. my current problem is I cannot figure out if the pto couplings are threaded tapered or both and which ones will share a common pto coupling to my 1998 yamaha gp800 pump.

Attachments

• boat met.jpg
    boat met.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 640286818_2289170494_623597446_1305513521241.jpg
    640286818_2289170494_623597446_1305513521241.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 0

Scubaproh20

Seaman
Re: jet boat project with pics

does anybody know if the crankshafts on yamaha and seadoo are the same thread/taper

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

SeaDoo and Yamaha drive shafts are totally different beasts in every dimension. If you are using a Yamaha pump, stick with a Yamaha engine and make your life much easier. Plus the pump is set up for a particular RPM to operate at peak efficiency. If you try to run a pump higher than its rated RPM range it may tear itself apart......too little RPM and it never runs efficiently. Bottom line is that the engine and pump are matched sets, you can't mix and match and expect it to work.

86 century

Ensign

+1
My seadoo runs at about 7000
Dont think the yamadog is that high

Best coarse of action would be to find a crashed ski so you have it all.
All the small part can get exspensive real quick.

How heavy do you think your rig will be. If you are moving with 10hp now 100hp may be alittle much.
Good luck.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, your best bet is finding a used ski with a smashed hull, but intact engine and electronics. You are going to need the whole package: engine, pump, wiring, ECU, guages, etc.

Scubaproh20

Seaman

i actually have a 40hp evinrude electric cshift, im going to a tigershark daytona 1000, weight will be a minimal increase, but will not be hanging off the transom, the yamaha pump is a 144 mm dia with a 15/20 pitch impeller the tigershark is a 146mm with a 12/23 impeller , the yamaha should have a far cleaner install where the tigershark pump will be fiberglass on aluminum both are close in hp 115/120 by comparison the yama runs at 7350 cruising the tigershark i have no idea , but i need to factor the boat into the equasion. it is 350lbs as it sits no motor. 550 with that old evinrude top is about 50lbs or so I have to wait and see but the tigershark daytona 1000 im picking up might have electric trim.

Scubaproh20

Seaman

btw, it goes 22mph loaded 3 ppl and gear the tag says 1450lb capacity with 40hp the cabin acts like a giant ebrake but is extremely comfortable in the heat rain or sleet and is very strong ( can sit on it)
+1
My seadoo runs at about 7000
Dont think the yamadog is that high

Best coarse of action would be to find a crashed ski so you have it all.
All the small part can get exspensive real quick.

How heavy do you think your rig will be. If you are moving with 10hp now 100hp may be alittle much.
Good luck.

86 century

Ensign

I started but never finnished a similar project.

I found out real quik that the eng and pump need to match quit well.
The tiger shark would be a good choic if it has a wide range of impellers avalible.

Scubaproh20

Seaman

On wednesday I picked up a TS 1000 now I have to build a transom adapter box thing, and find a teleflex cable for the yamaha gp 800 pump / my current steering. im building the transom box out of 3/32 or 1/8 aluminum not sure but im using 2'' angle to support it OH good news the yamaha couplers do indeed fit tigershark engines such as the rumor said. proof in in the pudding. btw I have alot of tigershark pump parts for sale mint 651 308 0584

Attachments

• tigershark project.jpg
    tigershark project.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0
  • ts2.jpg
    ts2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 0

Scubaproh20

Seaman

Today I made the hole for the pass through for the pump, It will be a square plate when I cut out the piece out and will bolt to a transom adapter im in the process of making to match the output angle of the pump. I used a dremel tool and am very impressed how accurate and perfectly round it turned out for a 10$ adapter and 3$ bit!

Attachments

• pump pass through.jpg
    pump pass through.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 0

Scubaproh20

Seaman

Got the pump mounted and the engine mocked up, I found a teleflex jet boat steering setup that should work with it too . Btw it should be considered an understatement that it was easy to make the pump adapter thing, I removed the keel about 20'' from the pump inlet. and sealed it all up I used 1/8'' plate for the fabbed up adapter plate

Attachments

• IMAG0097.jpg
    IMAG0097.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0098.jpg
    IMAG0098.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0099.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 0

Scubaproh20

Seaman

oh i moved to tinboats.net and the boat is done does over 40mph and gets there very fast.

Attachments

• shiny.jpg
    shiny.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 0
  • pump finished.jpg
    pump finished.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 0

PSG-1

Seaman

Hey, scubapro! I didn't see this thread before, or I would have responded to it sooner. Excellent work on your jetboat.

Contrary to popular belief, you CAN mix and match pumps and engines, as long as you have a lathe and some basic machining skills....simply modify the pump shaft for one half of a spartan jaw coupler, by cutting threads on the shaft and in the coupler, then modify the other half of the coupler for the threads on the PTO of the engine. And then you match RPM by stepping up or down on the impeller pitch, sometimes it will require sending the prop out and having it re-pitched to a custom pitch if that particular pitch is not available from a factory.

Your boat project proves that it CAN be done, and anybody that thinks that was just a lucky fluke, my boat originally used a TS1000 engine and a Yamaha XL1200 pump, before I went to the 4 stroke.