Recommendation for first wave runner please

Jalili99

Recruit
Hi there,

In the market for a wave runner. Most important on the wish list is the noise. I'll be keeping it at my parents house and they are anti-wave runners due to the noise. So it has to be on the quiet side. Will be used on small lakes in Michigan. Performance is not that high on the list either. I'll be using it mostly to do exploring around the lakes with my small boys. Of course, I would like to have fun on it, but not really into tearing up the lake. Also, would prefer to not spend a billion dollars on it.

Lastly, I'm new to all of this, so what is the general thoughts on buying used? We looked at pontoon boats last summer and used were so expensive. Seemed like a sellers market for pontoons, same for pwc?

Thank you for replying.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Recommendation for first wave runner please

Since 1984, I've had stand up Jet Skis and two Sea Doo's, including the hot rod RX. I bought another new PWC last year, and do most of my cruising/sightseeing on it.

PWC's are no longer 450 lb. machines--but 800-900 pound, up to 260 horsepower monsters. The manufactuers cut a deal with the U.S. Government to govern the high performance machines @ 68 mph, but many go out the dealers' doors with a bunch of modifications. They're a 10' boat that goes 0-30 mph in less than 2 seconds--faster out of the hole than any car built.

It's not if you're going to get hurt, but WHEN you're going to get hurt. Put one in the hands of a 16 year old, and they're a death machine.

Okay, getting back to normal performance PWC's. I bought the largest selling PWC on the retail market--the Yamaha VX Cruiser--the model with the extra comfortable seat. I usually cruise @ 25-30 mph, but it runs 54 mph--fast enough. I'm getting 10 mpg, and have a range of 150 miles if I stay out of the throttle. The fuel injected 4 stroke engine is quiet, and it's virtually trouble free. Sea Doos are also nice, but at a higher price (than my local dealer.) Kawasaki blew it years ago, and their dealer base is poor. Honda dumped a bunch of year old machines on the retail market a year ago, but I understand they're rough riding--and unpopular. I (and the rest of the market) prefer Yamahas first with SeaDoo second.

There are many used PWC's on the used boat market. See the big internet sites. I bought new because we live on the lake, and the year old 25 hour PWC's were not that much cheaper than what I paid.

I suggest you buy a good aluminum trailer so you can take it from lake to lake. New generation PWC's are so large, you can barely push these things around a paved driveway. They require a quality trailer for safety--not the junk folding trailer I used to haul my Jet Ski's on.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look at Yamaha or SeaDoo 4 stroke skis. I recommend new owners avoid used 2 stroke skis, since they require more detailed evaluation before you buy, plus they are louder (one thing you wanted to avoid), less reliable, and burn stinky 2 stroke oil. The Yamaha VX mentioned above is an excellent choice for a new owner. It is probably the most reliable ski on the market, and gets the best gas mileage of any ski out there. Other choices are the non-turbocharged SeaDoo models, or a used Yamaha FX or FX HO (I would avoid the supercharged Yamaha models for a family machine, since they have more parts to break, burn more fuel, and will be faster than you will want for kids). The SeaDoo GTI series or the Yamaha FX series (including the HO) will give you a better rough water ride, but will be a little more expensive to buy and operate than the Yamaha VX.

In general Yamaha skis are easier to maintain yourself than SeaDoo models, but that will depend on your mechanical skills. If you don't plan to do your own maintainence the proximity of a dealer may be the most important consideration as to brand. I agree with Bamaman1, in that Kawasaki skis should be avoided, due to their poor reliability. Good used 4 stroke models with low hours and a nice trailer can be found for $5000-$7000.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Get a Yamaha... Seadoo's are ride on Sunday in shop come Monday....my $.02.

The Rooster

Ensign

I tend to agree w/ the others, with the possible exception of "faztbullet". Since you're kind of new to PWC's, the more modern 4-strokes are near bullet proof. Since you're not into rockets, stick w/ normally aspirated engines not supercharged. Since you mentioned bringing the boys, you would probably appreciate 3 seater skiis over 2 seaters. We bought our 2007 SeaDoo last year as a toy for the crew to play with while on the party barge. It only had 34 hrs. when purchased for $4900.00. It's been a great skii for us. Approx. 63 hrs. now. Mid 50's for speed and easily handled by newby riders in the crew. Plenty of clean used skiis down here in our area. Good luck !!!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

My dealer's selling the VX models @ $7399, $8399 and $8699 for the Sport/Deluxe/Cruiser models. The FX models are running $11k to almost $13k--serious money. They also have a model in between that looks like a VX with the FX engines. Many people end up buying two PWC's with double trailers--twice the fun to have someone to chase around the lake. This can be an expensive hobby.

My VX does a good job for me. There again, every PWC on the retail market performs very well--and often too fast for many riders.

You should buy from a good, reputable dealership that's been around awhile. The boat and cycle businesses are tough, and you want your dealer to stay in business--and be there for you.