1989 Wet Jet 432 Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

capn kurt

Cadet
This wasn't really a "restoration" in the classic sense, but more of a clean-up and basic rebuild. I picked up a 1989 Wet Jet that appeared to be in great shape from photos. I made arrangements to pick it up and was pleased by how it looked on the outside. It wasn't until I got into it that I realized that the carb was junk, the compression was uneven, and the hull had a very small puncture near the intake.

I posted some photos of the rebuild here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/108092093848465341875/1989And1990WetJet432?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I scored a couple more wet jets, both '89 models from a guy locally that turned out to be nearly perfect mechanically, but their hulls were fairly sun faded and cracked. One of them (a blue one) had damage to the hull that I didn't want to bother repairing, while the red one was salvageable. I took every last nut and bolt off the blue hull and tossed them, along with the complete red one into the truck.

So, now I've got three of these relics that I plan on enjoying this coming summer. About 10 years ago I bought a '90 (the blue version) that I will be able to use the parts (seat, etc.) for from the scrapped hull.

Just thought I'd post this info, since I don't see a lot of information about them on iboats.

capn

Attachments

• 1989 Wet Jet 432 Front 3qtr View.jpg
    1989 Wet Jet 432 Front 3qtr View.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 0

86 century

Ensign
Re: 1989 Wet Jet 432 Restoration

Those things are neat. I thought I had the craziest looking thing around with the kawasaki sc.

Who made the eng for those things.

capn kurt

Cadet

Thanks! Yeah, they are such a funky design.

The best that I can tell with my limited research, the motors were designed in MN and manufactured by Fuji in Japan. I can find out for sure from a reliable source though, so I'll report back when I do.

They were also available with a Cuyuna 428cc engine, but I'm not 100% sure of the model years that used them.

I hadn't seen the SC before, that thing is great too.

Here is the original brochure:wet jet brochure cover.jpgwet jet brochure p2.jpgwet jet brochure p3.jpgwet jet brochure back.jpg

86 century

Ensign

How is the ride on these things. The hull reminds me of the trihull's from the '70 that would beat the crap out of you in rough water.

Only 25hp would likely be a slug with two on board.

capn kurt

Cadet

It gives a pretty rough ride on choppy water, for sure. As far as riding two-up, it actually does okay. This year will be the first time that I'll be able to get a good gps number for speed, both with just the driver and also with a passenger. I also plan on testing several different impellers just to get an idea how they perform.

The biggest problem with trying to ride with a passenger isn't the speed, but rather the stability when you slow down or stop - it is nearly impossible to keep this thing balanced. But, that's why you just need three of them so that you don't have to take a passenger, right?

metalbuggy1

Recruit
I just acquired a 1989 Wet Jet 432,
I'm searching for info, such as the windshield.
I know these were made by Koronis Snowmobile parts,
Was the windshield also used in a sled?
How about the Brut engine...
Is it an "in house" redesigned Brutanza snowmobile engine? Do any parts interchange?

Does anyone know of a parts sled sitting around?

Status
Not open for further replies.