Winterise yam waverunner

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,

I've just got my hands on a early 2000 waverunner, not sure of the exact year. What's the procedure for winterising? Currently it's 60 miles away along with the boat and I have no other info on it at present. Just putting the feelers out so to speak. Is this engine likely to be self draining? Any other routine maintenance I should be aware of? I know nothing about jets! All info welcome.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the lack of info!

D.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Winterise yam waverunner

1. Put it on the hose and run some stabilized fuel through the system (Stabil Marine or Startron are the 2 best). Some guys like to run something like Seafoam through in addition to the stabilizer to keep the carbs from gumming. NEVER RUN A 2 STROKE SKI ENGINE COMPLETELY DRY OF FUEL. If the ski has been used in salt water, this step would include running Salt Away through the system.
2. Fog the engine. This procedure varies depending on the model ski. Some Yamahas have fogging ports to spray the oil into, some you do through the carbs or intake (see the owners manual). With some models you do this step off the hose.
3. Remove the hose and run the ski for 15 seconds blipping the throttle to blow excess water out of the cooling system and water box. It helps if the bow is up slightly. Repeat this step after a few hours or the next day after the engine has completely cooled until no more water comes out (usually takes 2 or 3 times). No antifreeze will be needed if you do this step. All the late 90s and later Yamahas are self draining to some degree. This step blows out much of the excess water that tends to pool in the system.
4. Some guys like to pull the plugs and add a spoonful of 2 stroke oil then turn the engine over to distribute the oil.....I think this is optional if you did the fogging right.
5. Lube cables and moving parts. Fluid Film is good, Crossion X, and CRC 656 are others to spray on metal parts. Silicone spray for rubber parts.
6. Pull battery and put on tender.
7. Wash and wax ski.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Winterise yam waverunner

thanks ernest,

got the fogging oil and stabiliser from the boat so nothing extra required.

enjoy the off season.

d.