So I talked to a local jetski shop...

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class
....yesterday about winterizing my 1995 XP and 1996 GTI SeaDoo's. He told me that all they do is add fuel stabilizer to the gas and run it for a little bit to blow all of the water out and then pull the plugs and add some defogger and spin the engine for a few seconds. That's it.

I asked him about fogging the carbs while running it and he said it wasn't necessary as long as you put the stabilizer in the fuel. Also, since I'm in Central Texas, he said they don't ever run antifreeze through the system before fogging it for the winter.

This all seems to be contrary to what I've read in the owners manual.

Anyone have any thoughts?

texasvet

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: So I talked to a local jetski shop...

....yesterday about winterizing my 1995 XP and 1996 GTI SeaDoo's. He told me that all they do is add fuel stabilizer to the gas and run it for a little bit to blow all of the water out and then pull the plugs and add some defogger and spin the engine for a few seconds. That's it.

I asked him about fogging the carbs while running it and he said it wasn't necessary as long as you put the stabilizer in the fuel. Also, since I'm in Central Texas, he said they don't ever run antifreeze through the system before fogging it for the winter.

This all seems to be contrary to what I've read in the owners manual.

Anyone have any thoughts?

texasvet

just beacuse no one has replied yet i thought i would mention that you don't really need to have antifreeze if you drain the water fully. with boats its easier to just open the plug and thats it and i am not sure about the jetski's yet although i am getting one soon.
i live in Canada so its colder and even here no need for antifreeze. i recon that you should be fine with what you were told.

thumpar

Admiral

When I had one I would put in fuel stabilizer and run it for a bit on water. Take the air filter/spark arrestor off. Then run it enough to fog the motor. The fogging is not just for the pistons in a 2 stroke. The only oil the motor gets is from the fuel system so doing it that way will coat all the parts inside too. In a 4 stroke the engine oil does that job.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

My local dealer answered this very question for my 97 Yamaha GPs -

While on the trailer, fill the gas tank, add Sta-bil stabilizer (blue), start and run the motor for no more than ten seconds while fogging the carbs/motor through the carb air intakes, kill motor, remove plugs and squirt into each hole for 3 full seconds, replace plugs, and store with the seat(s) off for preventing condensation.

Be sure to evacuate all the remaining water from the system before you perform the fogging. You can do that by starting up the motor and giving it a few quick revs within 15 seconds and then kill the motor.

texasvet54

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all of the replies.

I'm going to fog the skis tomorrow and cover them up for the winter and hope for the best.

I'll post around the beginning of April and hopefully it will be with good news.

Thanks,
Texasvet

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

It is all a mater of how long your winter lay up is if you plan to use these in march foging in december is really not long term storage. In chicago we store in september and have to wait until may. Twice as long of a storage lay up. If these are two stroke motors the 2 stroke oil and stabilizer should be enough for short term storage.